Tuesday, 18 October 2016

Treats of the Week - Typical October

It's my birthday soon, so true to form I'm starting to get sick.  It's pretty common for me to be sick for my birthday.  I'm not sure if it's seasonal allergies or that I just get run down in October or what, but what started as some sneezing at work this morning has morphed into my sinuses being packed and me waiting for my head to explode.  Hopefully it clears up quickly!

  • I have been desperately needing to mow my lawn lately, but haven't had any luck in fixing my lawn mower.  Luckily I have awesome neighbours who lent me theirs!
  • I saw a bald eagle on Sunday - the first time I've ever seen one out in the wild.  I thought this was a big deal, but anyone who I've mentioned it to has said that it's pretty common around here.
  • It's been a long time since I've picked anything up off the side of the road, but I found this chair on the weekend!  I have a red one just like it, and there's a green one at my work that I've been trying to get my hands on for years.  It's a little grimy looking, but nothing a Magic Eraser can't take care of.


  • On the weekend I finally made my way to Reaper's Realm!  I had no idea what to expect, so when we pulled up and saw the crowds it was a little overwhelming.  A 90 minute wait later and we were on the bus for the haunted forest ride!  Then it was on to the haunted houses, where Dustin and his friend Hank decided that it was far funnier to have me go in first so they could listen to me yelp my way through.


  • It was also the Friends of the Library sale on Friday and I scored some great stuff!  While Dustin was waiting for me to finish finding stuff, he took a seat on the steps to guard my pile of books and to check out one of his own.  I walked back to him planning to take a picture of him quietly reading and watching my books, but he caught me in the act and I ended up with this picture instead.  There's so much going on - I love it.  The look of surprise and confusion.  My pile of books on the floor.  The fact that I disturbed him while he was reading a book about Phil Hartman, and that this was the moment when he was reading about his untimely end.  His cellphone sitting next to him on the step, which would be left there until we drove back to retrieve it.


  • It wouldn't be fall without a trip to Twin Pines for some pumpkins!  I met up with Amanda and Emily and their crews of children for some pumpkin action, and of course to take pictures of the kids.



  • The other night Vivian wanted to try her hand at Guitar Hero.  I thought I would be really impressive and show her how it's done but it's way harder than I remember it being.




  • If you follow me on Instagram (or on Facebook) you'll see my new little project.  For years I've been wanting to take pictures of my favourite signs in London.  Just the weird, random ones that show their age and have something special about them.  I've always chickened out though because I didn't want to be a weirdo taking pictures of storefronts.  Even in the last couple of weeks I went to McCulloch's probably four or five times to take a picture but ended up chickening out each time.  I finally did it though, and it's actually been really nice.  So far I've taken pictures of about eight different places and am enjoying posting them and taking little walks to track them down.  You can find them all with #isawthesignlondon and let me know if you have any favourites of your own!
Those nighttime meds are calling my name...

No comments: