Wednesday, 26 October 2016

October Horror

It seems like lots of people try to do a "31 Days of Scary Movies" in October, or something similar. It's fun! Those dark, cool nights just make you want to stay inside and cuddle under a blanket. Dustin and I started having scary movie nights back in the summer, since the list of movies I haven't seen is woefully long.


Here's the thing - I like scary movies. I've always liked them. But I don't like watching them by myself. It can be hard to find someone who wants to watch them with you! And I'm not big on slasher movies, but I love cerebral/psychological/thrilling/thought provoking/artistic/creative scary movies. So if anyone is looking for me in the evenings this month, there's a good chance I'm hiding my eyes with a blanket, cuddled up with some wine and some Dustin watching a scary movie.

Just in case you're doing a similar marathon, here's some of my favourite scary movies so far. Please give me your suggestions!

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Yes, not exactly an original pick. BUT, I recently watched it for the first time and was so impressed with it. It does so much with such a simple premise - and I love how much scarier things are when they're shown during the day.

Paranormal Activity - Again, not exactly a groundbreaking choice but I have such a soft spot for this series! What can I say, I love a good jump scare.

The Conjuring 2 - The Conjuring was okay. I love Patrick Wilson (see also: Insidious) but I was kind of annoyed that nothing was actually conjured in the movie. The sequel though? It's awesome. It was clever and creative and restrained and brought genuine scares.

Grave Encounters/Grave Encounters 2 - Probably my favourite of what we've watched so far. The first one starts off kind of predictably - found footage of some people from a ghost hunting show who spend the night in an insane asylum. But I promise - keep watching. It is SO SMART and SO FUN, the action really ramps up in the third act and totally won me over. Amazingly, the sequel has an even more clever premise. It falls apart a bit in the third act, but the monsters and scares are still so fun and creative that you totally forgive it.

The Neon Demon - Is this a real horror movie? I think you could argue it a few ways. It's Nicholas Winding Refn (of Drive fame) at his most insane. Pretty people doing terrible, terrible things. It's not for the faint of heart.

Insidious - The sequel was pretty brutal, but I have a soft spot for the original. It's creepy and atmospheric and I love how they explain the hauntings that are occurring. Plus, Patrick Wilson is super dreamy.

The Shining - Yes, another heavy hitter. But this one tops so many lists for good reason. Watching Jack Nicholson unravel into madness in the hotel is truly terrifying. Visually, it's arresting and beautiful. Of course, I'm partial to the book (those topiaries scared me so much!) but the film stands on its own merits.

Saw - Yes, Saw. We watched this one recently because Dustin had never seen it. It was interesting to watch it again after the sands of time had passed and you realize how much influence it has had. If the ending hasn't been spoiled yet, it's still a good twist.

Goodnight Mommy - Nothing like a messed up foreign movie to mess with your mind a little.

Suspiria - Honestly, I'm not sure if I totally understood what was happening in this one. But it's gorgeous and haunting and the music is incredible.

Would you Rather - Alright, hear me out. It starts out kind of lame and cheesy, but then it totally embraces the cheese and just becomes crazy fun and really makes you squirm. 

Housebound - Like a little comedy with your horror? This Australian horror movie manages to balance comedy and scares without going to goofy territory. Plus, just when you think you have the movie figured out it totally takes a twist. Really keeps you guessing.

The Innkeepers - Super simple concept - an inn is closing down so there's only two people working for the final weekend. This one is really atmospheric and a slow burn, easing you into the scares and creepy feeling before the awesome third act.

We've watched a lot more, but those have been my favourites so far.  Let me know your picks - it's almost Halloween so the time is right for more movie marathons!

No comments: