Wednesday, 17 August 2016

Treats of the Week - So, why a lobster?

It's been a minute since I've blogged.  Call it summer vacation, call it blogger burnout, call it laziness, whatever.  I just haven't felt like doing the blogging thing.  My internet has been spotty lately (thanks, Rogers), freelance work has been busy, and it's been too hot to do anything but go swimming.  But my Grandma Millie is my number one fan and has been asking where the blog posts are, and we can't disappoint Grandma!  Here's what's been going on the last couple of weeks.


  • Dustin and I had a wedding to go to, which meant I had a meltdown about what to wear.  I frantically ordered a bunch of dresses which didn't arrive in time, but managed to find this little number at Winners on clearance for $38.  It's a really great dress that was perfect for the wedding and will transition well come boots and tights time!  Plus it passed the all-important fitting room Jenn test.


  • I went for my free tattoo in Toronto and it was a really great experience.  My artist, Katrina, is incredibly talented and I'm so happy with the result.  So why a lobster?  I just like them.  I've always been drawn to their image and I like their ties to surrealism and Salvador Dali.  This dude has healed up super nicely - she put a weird wrap on it that's used on burn victims that really helped speed the healing.  I'm all done with the peeling and everything now and it's healed much lighter than in this picture.  Can't wait for the next one!




  • Back to school shopping is underway for Vivian and myself!  I'm not taking any courses this fall (but I might in the winter) but that doesn't mean I don't need new pens.  I got myself a Parker, just a cheap Jotter.  I've always wanted a really nice pen but I'm afraid I'll just lose it.  This Parker can be my training wheels to see how well I do.



  • I'm loving my favourite summer guilty pleasure of Big Brother, and this summer Vivian is watching along with me!  Paulie is basically the worst, and I want to see Natalie and James go to the finish!
  • I went to Value Village the other day (too hot to walk outside on my lunch break) and was greeted with dozens of elephants.  It was so bizarre, and kind of sad.  In my mind they had to clear out someone's house who collected elephants.  They were everywhere I looked!



  • I also found a complete set of Out of this World, which I realllllllly wanted.  But when they're priced at $4 each and there's 24 of them...even when every fifth book would be free...it just wasn't happening that day.  I did consider buying a couple of random ones just to ruin the set for someone else though, because I'm spiteful.



  • I just can't help myself sometimes.



  • This crazy heat we've been having has been unbearable and makes us appreciate the pool at mom's house even more.  It's been so nice to have it for nighttime swims, and is so much easier then trekking out to the beach!  My back is crazy tanned - I'm loving having this pool around!


  • On Monday mom and I ventured on the GoTrain with five kids for a day in Toronto.  We hit up the aquarium, which is not for the faint of heart.  The kids had a great time, but holy cow are the adults ever terrible at places like this.  The kids were getting shoved and bumped around, and often couldn't see anything because of adults standing right in front of all the displays.  Call me crazy, but maybe you don't need to take 20 pictures of the lion fish when there's a four-year old who just wants to see them.  I took to just saying, "Go ahead kids, get up there close.  Adults don't need to see," quite loudly.  Dustin figures I could get a solid 5 minutes of stand-up out of the experience.  My favourite part was this sawfish who was just chilling on top of the tunnel.




  • But hey, the kids had a blast.


  • The trip was a success - we had all the kids carry their own backpacks and they did so well with all the walking.  Vivian was clever and used her chest strap on the backpack as a makeshift holder for her penguin buddy, Waddles.



  • Like I mentioned, my Grandma Millie has become a big fan of the ol' bloggy blog.  She dropped off this bag of goodies as donations for the blog - lots of tins, pins, and other cool stuff.  There was even a small wooden box that my Great Aunt Vivian brought back from Germany.  



  • Those pins she gave me got added to the collection.  Now that people know about the pin thang they pass along their old pins that are ratting around in drawers.  Dustin's mom was kind enough to give me some of hers - I'll definitely be wearing that Tragically Hip pin on Saturday while I watch the Kingston concert!



  • I'm off again today - a little mini staycation.  It's been nice to just be home for a couple of days.  I asked Vivian this morning what she wanted to do today and she said she said she just wanted to stay at home all day.  Works for me, that's what we did yesterday.  This is how we ended our night last night, with Vivian falling asleep in my lap while we watched My Little Pony.


I'll try to do some more regular blogging soon - my annual closet post is almost due and I have a conspiracy theory that I've been working on to share with you guys...

No comments: