Monday, 22 February 2016

Treats of the Week - It's been a week

It's been a lovely Reading week - I had some evenings where it felt so strange to just not be doing anything.  I could lie in bed and just watch tv until I fell asleep without thinking about journal articles that needed to be read or things that needed to be typed.  It was a much-needed (and very well-timed) break.  Back to reality this week though - court is back in session and I'm back in class tomorrow.  In the meantime, I didn't end up with too many treats this week, but here's what I've got.


  • I checked out the Banana Republic Factory Store the other day, which is normally a hot spot for me but I've avoided it lately.  I did find a great score - a blazer that was originally $119 marked down to $20.99.
  • Saturday had perfect weather - especially for February.  Made me feel much better about the parking ticket I'd gotten.  The afternoon was spent doing some shopping and wandering around the Brydges Street Antique Mall - I'm kind of regretting passing up these midcentury tea cups and saucers.


  • I finally, FINALLY got my first semester tuition reimbursed.  I'm definitely glad that there is an education reimbursement program through my work, but the process seemed to take forever.  It came not a moment too soon since I need to shell out $500 for the deductible to repair my car.  It also allowed me to finally make good on some of those "I will pay it this week, I promise!" moments, as well as picking up a couple of treats for myself.  Nothing too crazy - mostly just lapel pins and postcards, because I'm super cool like that.  I'll show you once they get here!
  • It was my sister Courtney's 30th birthday on Friday, so we had Chinese food and cherry cheesecake to celebrate on Sunday.  For whatever reason, I never feel old when my own birthday comes around, but when my brothers and sisters have their birthdays it makes me feel crazy old.



  • It was a super busy weekend with a show at Call the Officer (Operators!) and Scots Corner for a friend's birthday on Saturday night.  Did I perhaps have more drinks than I should have?  Well, what does "should" mean, anyway?  I had fun and got to hang out with all kinds of lovely people, so that's all that matters.
  • I finished watching Flesh & Bone the other day - Centre Stage it is not!  I actually quite enjoyed it, but it is definitely more towards the Black Swan end of the ballet entertainment spectrum.
  • I scored some tickets for the Death From Above 1979/Eagles of Death Metal show coming up in May.  I'm still blown away that Eagles of Death Metal are touring so soon after the Paris attack and can't wait to check out the show right here in London.  There seems to be a lot of great acts coming through lately - good for my calendar, bad for my wallet!
Back to reality this week - research proposal for my major research paper due next Tuesday!

No comments: