Wednesday, 23 December 2015

Very Vivian - Times When I Feel Like a Mom

I'm pretty lucky.  I wanted to be a mom, and I got to be a mom.  Not everyone is as lucky.  The thing is, I rarely feel like an actual adult, let alone one who is responsible for another human being.  I often feel like I'm still just kind of pretending to be a parent, because I certainly don't have it all figured out.  There are those little moments though, the ones where I really feel like I deserve to be called someone's mom.


  • When I raid her piggy bank for change because she needs money for a hot chocolate fundraiser or some other business at school.
  • Opening food in the grocery store to keep her entertained in the cart.
  • Lying to her that a store is closed when I really just don't want to go through the ordeal of going to the store.
  • Tucking her into bed and feeling the little arms hugging me around my neck.
  • Telling her to get back into bed a million times after we do the tuck in routine.
  • When other kids call me "Vivian's mom".
  • Holding her hand in a parking lot.
  • The way she will hug my arm when she's holding my hand.
  • Remembering to bring something with me that she wants, like a certain pen or notebook.
  • Buying two Timbits for her when I grab a coffee.
  • Dropping her off at school and watching her little backpack bobbing along as she walks away.

The day this picture was taken we had to drive back to Old Navy after she left that stuffed Groot toy behind and had a meltdown.  Pulling over, turning around, and searching Old Navy for it definitely made me feel like a mom!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got news for you Ashlie, the feeling that you aren't a real adult never goes away. At least not for me, but we are related. ;) Love your blog as always.

Anonymous said...

Oops! That was from Aunt Jill. :)