Friday, 4 December 2015

Shop Local!

I don't know about you, but I try to avoid the mall at Christmas.  I just can't deal with the parking lots and craziness!  I do a lot of shopping online, and this year I've been trying to shop local and check out more of the small businesses we have in London.  I figured it wouldn't hurt to share a list (and map!) of some of my favourite locations.  Get out there and shop local this season, guys!



Uber Cool Stuff - This is my go-to location for weird little gifts.  They've got loads of games, books, housewares, art - you name it.  Also good for stocking stuffers!

Brown & Dickson - The only thing better than getting new books is getting a cool edition of an old book you love.  Brown & Dickson can help you out there - and they've got some beautiful new stationary up for sale too!

House of Wenday - Brown & Dickson's location at the old Novack's building is really starting to fill up with interesting vendors.  House of Wendy has also recently moved in to that location, but you might know her stuff from the Sentimentalist.  I bought a necklace from her last summer and wear it all the time.  I also love her upcycled bags.

Life of Leisure - Also located in the old Novack's Building the Life of Leisure General Store has some killer Hawaiian shirts and I love their "Leisure" sweatshirts.  They also carry Hen and Bear jewellery - another one of my favourites!

The Been Garden - The Been Garden is like two layers of local shopping - not only is it a small local business, but all of their stock is from small local artisans.  I got Vivian a beautiful handmade mermaid blanket and want to go back for a Wooly Maple toque for myself.  It's a great location if you're looking for stuff for kids!

For You Clothing - If you're at The Been Garden then you had might as well swing around to the rear unit for For You Clothing.  It's a pretty tucked away little location, but the clothes are beautiful!

LA Mood - Not only is LA Mood my go-to spot for comics, but they have an amazing month of deals for Christmas!  Check their Facebook page to see the latest specials!

Heroes - Heroes has extended the time with their warehouse sale so if you haven't stopped in yet this is a great time to go digging for treasures!  I also love Heroes for stocking stuffers - Vivian loves blind boxes and they have a great selection!

Yogurt Culture - I first found Yogurt Culture a few weeks ago at the Rag Bag Bazaar and fell in love.  I'm obsessed with their "Old South Old School" shirts and she even offers to custom fit the tee for you if you're a lady who prefers something a little more fitted than the standard boxy tee.  And those handpainted clutches and totes?  To die for.  They don't have a brick and mortar location, but you can catch them today at a pop up sale at Purdy Naturals - another great local shop for the best in natural makeup, lotions, and so much more!

Illbury + Goose - My Christmas list definitely includes a Neighbourhood Toque and one of their Villain Sweaters.  I love their style, and especially love that their clothing is all Canadian designed and produced.  It might cost a little more, but it's incredible quality.  I also love the Vitaly jewellery they carry.

I know it's often a pain in the ass to go out of your way and check out a small business, but it's always worth it!

No comments: