It's been a pretty busy week overall - Vivian has been in Quebec visiting family with her dad for the last few days, and I've been taking advantage of the time without her to get lots of work done since I have once again placed myself firmly in a corner, behind an 8 ball as far as deadlines go. Again. I'm nearing the finish line on this semester though - there's an end in sight!
- It has been kind of a crazy week. On Friday I was able to attend the Local Government Program Alumni Conference. Even though I'm not an alumnus (yet), they invite students to attend. It was actually really interesting, and the food was awesome! Plus there were free pens, so what could be better? I even won a door prize, and picked the sexiest option by far.
- Speaking of the free pens, as soon as I saw how nice they were, I knew I had to score an extra one for my friend, Jen. Jen has a weird infatuation with free pens. The look on her face when I gave it to her on Saturday was definitely a highlight!
- As I mentioned, I've been spending a lot of time on schoolwork lately, and Vivian has been so good to let me work when I need to. The other night I was reading and making notes on the couch when she sweetly asked, "Mommy, when are you done with your school work? Because I want to cuddle with you." Of course my answer was, "Right now."
- I had some time to kill on Friday and did what I normally do - wander around a thrift store. I was having pretty good luck at the south Value Village, especially in the book section. I don't always check out the books, since I already have so many and it can get out of hand quickly. This time I found a cool old "Our Mysterious World" book from Reader's Digest (or something like that - I have several of those old Reader's Digest books about the paranormal) and two Chuck Klosterman books when I decided to hit up the children's books section. I was really excited when I came across an Encyclopedia Brown book, and then couldn't believe my luck when I found More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. I almost left right then, but decided to keep browsing. I didn't think I would be fortunate enough to find all three books in that series, but somehow I did! I got Scary Stories/More Scary Stories/Scary Stories 3 for $1.49 each. You know how much these books are going for on Amazon and eBay? Around $80 for all three. There's a new edition with different illustrations, but everyone wants these old ones. It was a pretty major score!
- I did get a lot of work done this weekend by hiding myself away in the library. Typically I go to the Central Library in London since that way I'm right downtown in case I need to do anything else. I had a problem on Sunday though, since it's only open from 1:00-4:00 and most other London libraries are closed on Sundays. After spending $12 on parking at the hospital to visit Courtney and Brody, I wasn't too inclined to spend more on parking to go to a library on campus, but I decided to try my luck at trusty Brescia. I haven't been back on Brescia grounds since I was there 10 years ago, but I knew they had done a big renovation on the library. I was pleased to find that I didn't have to pay for parking (I took a chance and figured no one would be checking the meters on Sunday) and the library was so nice and bright and open. I found myself a table and worked away all afternoon. I'll definitely be keeping it in mind for future work sessions!
- Our new Prime Minister has been mic dropping like it's going out of style. I'm quite confident that Trudeaumania II will die down and we'll all hate him for something sooner rather than later, but for now it's pretty exciting to watch, and makes for entertaining gifs.