Monday, 2 November 2015

Treats of the Week - All Treats, No Tricks

It has been quite a week, friends!  I had a great birthday - 33 should be a good year!  My birthday was spent with lots of pleasant surprises and an action-packed weekend.  I really appreciated every single birthday greeting I received - even the passive aggressive one (Lauren).  Of course I've pushed myself too hard and now I'm coming down with some sort of cold/disgustingness so that's awesome.  Treats!


  • My birthday at work is always pretty awesome - I get spoiled with a decorated work area and treats that seem to just magically multiply on my desk all day.  I even got ice cream cake at my class that day, so things were definitely sweet!




  • You know what's better than raking leaves?  Mowing them all down with a lawnmower while thinking "Die, leaves!" in your head.  
  • My birthday evening was spent checking out another escape room, this time at Lost City Escape in London.  It was pretty good - and I chalked up another win.  My favourite room is still the first one I tried in Kitchener, but I'm reserving judgment until I've tried all four locations in London.
  • I love listening to the Flashback Friday track on 97.5 every Friday morning.  This past Friday was the best though since they played the classic track "C'est l'Halloween".  Hey!

  • Friday night birthday shenanigans found me at Toboggan for the first time, and it did not disappoint!  The menu was amazing - I enjoyed a flight of beer before deciding on a pint of amber, and Jenn and I got to have a tasty selection of appetizers.  I can't wait to go back - they are giving Earl's a run for their money for the title of my favourite restaurant.





  • After Toboggan we headed out for a live show of Rocky Horror, which was seriously one of the most fun things I've ever done.  I don't know if I've really talked about it on the blog, but I have a weird thing with collective experiences.  That's why I love seeing movies in the theater, why I love going to concerts, why I love seeing sports live.  There's nothing I like more than feeling like I'm a part of a crowd who are all enjoying the same thing.  The energy of it is just so overwhelming.  Being at a live show of Rocky Horror where you're encouraged to yell and boo and throw things and interact with the cast was right up my alley and I had a total blast. 



  • Even though I didn't dress up for Halloween, I did see some amazing costumes out and about.  My favourite was this one - I tried to discretely take a picture, but he started walking towards me just as I was taking it, so it basically ended up being a picture of his junk.  Can you tell what the costume is though?  It's Stupid Sexy Flanders!  "Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all!"





  • I also saw a Pinhead (from Hellraiser) riding a Segway in Strathroy.  So that's a thing.
  • My little trick or treater had an awesome Halloween.  She dressed up as Draculaura and did so well knocking on doors and using her manners.  She didn't care that it was raining, she was super pumped about the whole thing.  Plus adorable, obvs.

  • Birthday means my favourite meal - poor man's pizza!  Mom sent me home yesterday with basically an entire pan of it and it's practically all gone today.  Sigh.



  • I checked out the Brown & Dickson book party on Friday and managed to score some deals - including an incredible old book about the Middlesex County Court building.  Not only is it about the building, but it's an actual old plan for the building listing all kinds of old ideas for how they wanted to use it after it stopped being a courthouse.  It's a really cool old artifact and I'm so glad I found it!
  • I got some really great London postcards for my birthday (thanks to an Attic Books gift card which burned a hole in my little pocket immediately) that I can't wait to frame and hang up on my London wall.  I also finally pulled the trigger on ordering this vintage postcard on eBay.  I've been stalking it forever, but kept balking at the idea of spending $12 on a postcard.  I'm so glad I did though - it's my favourite Victor Aziz image and it's perfect in my collection.


  • The best treat of all?  Still being able to score breakfast at Tim Horton's even though it was 12:04.  It's the little things.

1 comment:

JennM said...

Ashlie OMG your pic and story about stupid sexy Flanders made my day!