Monday, 26 October 2015

Treats of the Week - Birthday Week

It's common knowledge that if your birthday falls during the week you get to celebrate both the weekend before and after.  My birthday is on a Thursday this year (29th!) and therefore I started celebrating on the 22nd.  I get bonus points because my birthday is always overshadowed by Halloween, so there.  Mostly I'm just looking forward to getting through this week - I have two papers due on Wednesday that I will no doubt be finishing in the hour or so before they're due.  Once that's done it's lots o' fun this coming weekend!  Here's what kept me busy and happy in the past week.


  • I was doing my usual wandering at Value Village on Friday when I came across a veritably slew of Malta souvenirs.  I'm sure most people would pass them over, but I knew my favourite Maltan (Maltian?  Maltese?  Maltini?) Jenn would love them!  I grabbed her this little ceramic trinket box and a weird wall hanging thing - along with some brass giraffes and vintage Disney ashtrays for me!



  • The birthday festivities were kicked off last Thursday by going to see Gob at Call the Office.  I haven't seen them perform since 2001 so it was a real blast from the past.  I had an awesome time singing along way too loudly and bouncing around.  I may have been wearing a blazer, but I was a little punk at heart.
  • Mom and I took the kids out for StorySpook Gardens at Storybook Gardens on the weekend and it was awesome!  I was really impressed at how they turned everything into a not-too-spooky Halloween theme for the kids.  We lucked out with a super warm night on Saturday and managed to be there for a window of time where it didn't rain.  The volunteers were all wonderful with the kids - I really recommend it.  As an aside - don't you think it's should be Spookybook and not Storyspook?  I get what they're going for with the -ook, but "spook" and "book" have different sounds, so I feel like Spookybook flows a bit better.  End of aside.

  • Kate Spade is selling furniture now.  In related news, I need thousands of extra dollars.
  • What does it look like when you actually fall asleep in the midst of sending a text and it never actually gets sent?


  • It was the Treehouse of Horror episode on the Simpsons last night, and even though I thought the overall episode was only so-so (as they so often are anymore), the opening couch gag by Ren & Stimpy creator John Kricfalusi was AMAZING.  You can find it here.
  • Friday night was Retromania night at the Hyland, which has quickly become one of my favourite outings of the month.  I've been going pretty consistently since April.  I love getting see weird old movies on the big screen, and it's always a crowd of cool people there.  This month I ended up dragging my dude out to make it a double feature with Goodnight Mommy and then the retro showing of Mulholland Drive.  It was quite the cinema mindfuck of a night.
  • I'm a sucker for Instagram sales - especially when they're selling weirdo vintage items like sticker cards from Close Encounters of the Third Kind.


  • I finished watching Scrubs as my background noise/sleepy time show and have moved on to That 70s Show.  It's been so funny looking back on it - I loved that show in high school.  While watching it last night I even noticed a recipe box in the Foreman kitchen that also happens to reside in my kitchen.  Clearly, Kitty Foreman has phenomenal taste.



Happy (and safe!) Halloween, everybody!

No comments: