Tuesday, 15 September 2015

Fall TV 2015

Somehow it's that time of year again - fall TV is about to get started.  Time to set those PVRs and get comfy on your couch.  I'm actually trying to scale back my regular weekly TV viewing so I'm not planning on picking up too many of the new shows.  Relatively speaking, at least.  Here is what  I'm planning on watching and recording this fall - as always, it isn't an exhaustive list of all the new shows, just the ones that strike my fancy.

My timers list is looking awfully sad these days

Tuesday, September 15

  • The Mindy Project - CityTV  Thursday, November 5 at 9:30 p.m. - I put this on September 15th because that's the Hulu release date, since that's where Mindy has gone since being cancelled by Fox.  Luckily for us Canadians, CityTV will be airing the new episodes, but they're not starting until November 5th at 9:30 p.m.  The Mindy Project is one of my favourite shows and I'm so relieved that it's been saved!
  • Best Time Ever with Neil Patrick Harris - NBC 10:00 p.m. (time slot premiere September 29 at 8:00 p.m.) - I'm not really one to go for variety shows, but NPH is just so likeable I figure it's worth giving it a shot.  I imagine it will end up being something I don't go out of my way to watch every week, but would end up watching if I stumble upon it.

Monday, September 21
  • Gotham - FOX 8:00 p.m. - Gotham almost lost me last year, but I held on until the end of the season and I'm excited to see where they go from here.  It sounds like they're going to take a different approach for season 2 - not so much of a "criminal of the week" and going for more overarching plots.
  • Big Bang Theory - CBS 8:00 p.m. - Big Bang Theory is TV comfort food.
  • Life in Pieces - CBS 8:30 p.m. - This seems a little high concept and could potentially fall apart or get tedious, but I love enough of the cast to give it a shot.
  • Blindspot - NBC 10:00 p.m. - I keep going back and forth on whether I'm going to bother watching this.  You'll notice as you go through here that I'm favouring half hour comedies these days - hour long dramas seem like such a commitment, I'm getting really picky about them.  Blindspot seems to be getting set up as the new Blacklist, and I fell out of that after the first season.  I'll give it a few episodes and see how it goes.
Tuesday, September 22
  • Scream Queens - FOX 8:00 p.m. (time slot premiere September 29 at 9:00 p.m.) - I'm really excited about this one - a new horror-comedy from Ryan Murphy.  The cast is solid (Jamie Lee Curtis!) the concept is fun and the whole style of it looks awesome.  I'm in.
  • The Muppets - ABC 8:00 p.m. - Who doesn't love the Muppets?  If you're not excited about this, then we should probably stop hanging out.
Wednesday, September 23
  • The Goldbergs - CBS 8:30 p.m. - If you're not watching this show, you really should be.  It's so fun and I love the nostalgia factor.  
  • Empire - FOX 9:00 p.m. - Yes, I was one of those people who marathoned their way through Empire and can't wait for the new season.  I'm glad to see that the second season is only 18 episodes, instead of pushing it to the standard 22.  Hopefully that maintains the quality.
  • Nashville - ABC 10:00 p.m. - I almost gave up on Nashville, but I ended up sticking with it.  Honestly, I'm finding a lot of the plot lines to be really tedious, but I'm thinking that might be because I love Juliette's character and they had so much to work around in the last season because of Hayden Panettiere's pregnancy.

Thursday, September 24
  • Heroes Reborn - NBC 8:00 p.m. - I think I stopped watching the original run of Heroes somewhere in the third season.  I'm pleased to see them going back to the stories, and I'm hoping they can pull it off by getting back to what made the first season so wonderful, but I'm wary.  
  • Scandal - ABC 9:00 p.m. - Scandal is the greatest.  Watch this show.

Sunday, September 27
  • Brooklyn Nine-Nine - FOX 8:30 p.m. - This show continues to surprise me.  I wasn't super crazy about it after the first season, but found it really gelled for me after I rewatched it on Netflix.  Watching them back to back really made it funnier.  The characters are so well written and work so well together - I can't wait to see what happens once Bill Hader is added to the cast.
  • Last Man on Earth - FOX 9:30 p.m. - Seriously, this show is SO GOOD.  I don't know where the first season is available (obviously you can download it, and I think maybe Shomi has it?) but you should watch it.  It's hilarious and outlandish and bizarre and amazing.
Tuesday, September 29
  • Grandfathered - FOX 8:00 p.m. - John Stamos is a hot grandpa.  Sure, why not?
  • The Grinder - FOX 8:30 p.m. - I'm a sucker for a legal comedy.  This one stars Fred Savage and Rob Lowe, so that really ups the ante.  It's so nice to see Fred Savage in front of the camera again, he's done a lot of directing in the last few years.
Saturday, October 3
  • Saturday Night Live - NBC 11:29 p.m. - Yes, I still watch SNL every week.  I can assure you, it's much better as Sunday Morning Recorded.  I'm really excited to see Amy Schumer try her hand at hosting, as well as the return of Tracy Morgan.

Sunday, October 4
  • The Leftovers - HBO 9:00 p.m. - It feels like it's been forever since the first season finale, I'm actually a little worried about going back to it in the second season because the details seem so fuzzy.  I did really enjoy how they ended the first season though, so hopefully there's a good "Last season on The Leftovers" bumper to start things off.
  • The Affair - Showtime 10:00 p.m. - I was surprised at how much I liked this show, actually.  I probably won't watch it week to week for season 2 though, I think it works better for me in the marathon style.

Thursday, October 6
  • The Flash - CW 8:00 p.m. - Honestly, I haven't watched the first season entirely.  I got to a point where I had fallen so far behind on Arrow that I stopped watching The Flash because there were so many crossover episodes I didn't want to get confused.  I've added it here because I'll still record it for whenever I get all caught up.

Wednesday, October 7
  • Arrow - CW 8:00 p.m. - See above - I'm actually stuck in the second season of Arrow right now, but I'll keep recording it for when I eventually will be caught up.
  • American Horror Story: Hotel - FX 10:00 p.m. - You never know quite what to expect from AHS, and with the addition of Lady Gaga the stakes seem even higher.  I enjoyed Freak Show, but thought it got a little muddled with the story.  I'm hoping that Hotel can have a bit more direction with the plot, especially since the rumour is they will be basing some of the plot on the Elisa Lam story.

Friday, October 9
  • Undateable - NBC 8:00 p.m. - My PVR actually stopped recording this show in season 2 (stop trying to make choices for me, PVR!) but I want to start watching the third season because it's going to be all live episodes.  At the end of the second season they did a few live episodes, and apparently that's how they will be handling things going forward.  It feels like a stunt, but I'm hoping it pays off.

Friday, October 16
  • Truth be Told - NBC 8:30 p.m. - The show doesn't look great, and the Friday time slot doesn't bode well, but I do love me some Mark-Paul Gosselaar.  The fact that the show also stars Tone Bell definitely helps - I loved him on Bad Judge as Tedward.
  • The Knick - Cinemax 10:00 p.m. - I'm really excited for season 2 of The Knick.  I was kind of disappointed that it wasn't back in the summer, but I suppose that a fall premiere means that they're expecting it to do better.  I loved the look of the first season, it's so dark and weird and wonderful.

Monday, October 26
  • Supergirl - CBS 8:30 (timeslot premiere November 2 at 8:00 p.m.) - Yes, the trailer does look a little bit too much like a romantic comedy, but I'm hoping they can balance the lightness with some serious action sequences.
Tuesday, October 27
  • Wicked City - ABC 10:00 p.m. - The buzz around this show so far hasn't been great, but I'm a sucker for the retro setting and I like the fact that it's going to be an anthology, with a new era and location planned for each season.

Saturday, October 31
  • Ash vs. Evil Dead - Starz 9:00 p.m. - Okay, I'm not a total Evil Dead fangirl or anything, but this does look fun and I know enough people who will be excited about this that I figured I should include it.  
See?  It's not that much, right?  At least half hour comedies are easy to sneak in here and there.  There's a lot of stuff coming up midseason too - the world has changed with TV, they can premiere things whenever they want now!  There are no rules anymore!

Happy TV viewing, guys!

No comments: