Wednesday, 13 May 2015

Very Vivian - Field Trip

Last week I joined Vivian's class for their second field trip of the year.  It was just in town, but it was a really awesome event and I'm so glad I got to go!  Strathroy hosts the International Emergency Response Day and they put on a great event for the kids.  Agencies from all branches (police/fire/ambulance/military) are represented and available for the kids to talk to.  They also have some mini demonstrations and vehicles out for the kids to climb into.  Everyone was so friendly and informative, it was really great for the kids to see so many different agencies in one place, all schools should go!


I do love me a Mountie, and so does V!

I was pleased to see that some of the officers I know from court were there to represent London Police Services.  



The kids got their faces painted by some of the military representatives.  I kept teasing Vivian that I couldn't find her because she was camouflaged.

The whole thing was really hands on.  Trying out the fire hose was quite the popular attraction!






It was a really great event to teach kids about the members of our community who keep us safe, and about some of the other agencies that we don't typically see.  There were representatives from the Ministry of Natural Resources, and even from the Elgin Middlesex Detention Center.  There were all kinds of specialty vehicles on display, including some from Detroit Police.

From what I can tell, it's a Strathoy-only event, and it seems to happen on a Wednesday in early May each year.  I'm not sure if it's always the first Wednesday or not, but there's also a parade that runs through town.  When we first moved to Strathroy I remember hearing the sirens and having no idea what was going on!

I'll definitely make a point of bringing Vivian in the future, whether the school organizes a trip or not.  It's a really great way for kids to learn about safety and who you can trust in your community.  Plus bonus points for a really educational field trip!

No comments: