Wednesday, 13 May 2015

May Thrift

I did a little wander around the Brydges Street Antique Mall last week, and then I went back again this week for some of the things I passed over!  I just got that urge to check it out last week - and I try to go with those urges in case there are treasures waiting for me!

I want/need a new kitchen table and kind of want to get a retro dinette style table.  I had an amazing read and chrome one back in university, but sold it.  Ugh, the hurt.  I loved this little blue one - and someone else must have because it was gone when I returned.


Hanging way up high I spotted my favourite - the Middlesex County Courthouse!  It was hanging too high for me to see a price, and it was too large to fit on my Wall O London, so I left it behind for someone else to love.



I spotted this set almost immediately - sure I have way too many gold and black bowling themed glasses, but I don't have any in this pattern and I certainly don't have any in a carrier!  I had to make it mine, obviously.


So much Pyrex, so little time.  I keep going back and forth on what patterns I want to collect.  I love this Friendship pattern, but it seems to be pretty highly sought after and is always pricey.  But so pretty!


Ugh, this is a heartbreaker.  So I found this bowl and I love it - that zodiac pattern is pretty amazing.  Here's the thing though - I came across it this time and it was $14.  But I've seen it before, and I know that it's actually a chip n' dip set and there should be a smaller bowl to perch on it.  The last time I saw it as a set it was way out of my budget for that day, so I let it go.  Now here it is again, but incomplete.  So once again, I walked on by.  I came to my senses a few days later and figured that half of the set is better than no set at all, but alas she was gone.  I'm definitely kicking myself over this one, guys.  So now I'm just hopeful that it will come back to me once more, and hopefully as a reasonably-priced complete set!


Oh yes, hello wall art thing that I take a picture of every time I'm in!  I love you, but I still don't want to pay $70 for you.


Another little dealio that would work well on my Wall O London.  It was cute, but a little rough, and the plaques looked like they were plastic, not metal.  It kind of seemed like someone pulled some plaques off of a reserved parking spot, threw them in a cheap frame and then wanted $20 for it.  Maybe another time.


This little chain made me laugh, because the opposite side of it says "Bar is Closed" but why would you ever need that side?  It was $8, and I almost bought it both times I stopped in but ultimately decided against it.








I rather enjoyed this little piece of the procession of King George on his visit to Canada, but I thought it was a little overpriced for the size, and considering the fact that the frame was held together with tape.


This little beauty almost escaped me.  I found this painting of the criminal courthouse here in London and obviously wanted it immediately.  But I balked, I thought it was a little much for what it was, and the scale seemed a little wonky in it.  So I put it back, but luckily it was still waiting for me when I returned.  And 25% off nonetheless!  Welcome to the Wall O London, little guy!


This little set of Anchor bowls caught my eye initially but I didn't scoop them up until round two either.  I like the little domino pattern on them, and they're a nice little size for snacks on a table (bowl of nuts, anyone?) or for like yogurt or ice cream or something when a cereal bowl is just going to be a crazy situation.




This flag was hanging in a case right at the front - you know I love me those crests.  It seems awfully big though, so I'm not quite sure what I would do it with it.  I might have to rescue it another day though.



These industrial cabinets were new on my second visit - I love them!  At $120 they're not unreasonably priced, but I don't really have a space for them right now.  I love the storage options inside though - could be awesome for organizing a craft space!



I came across this little wooden card box on round two.  Not really anything spectacular, but I liked the graphics on it and thought the idea of having a little box just for playing cards was kind of cool.  In my grand basement plan there's a bar and a games table, so why not keep a special little box for playing cards?  I think I was mostly mourning the loss of the zodiac bowl, so I grabbed this instead.


And for someone who doesn't really play cards, I seem to have quite a few decks.  I wasted no time at home storing my two coolest decks in here.  The box actually came with two vintage decks, but they weren't anything super special to me, and have since been relocated to the box from my iPhone.


Happy hunting out there, friends!  Yard sale season is almost upon us - who's coming out to Kilworth Yard Sales with me???

No comments: