Tuesday, 24 March 2015

Spring Fever Basement Switch

I've been wanting to rearrange the basement forever.  In preparing to write this post I realized that I never really went back and showed you guys where the basement ended up.  It's been moderately useful for the last year or more, but I rarely go down there.  Something about the setup just didn't seem comfortable, especially for me down there by myself.  I had a plan in mind of how I wanted to change things but kept holding off on doing it because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with the floors.  See, if I was going to paint then there wasn't any sense in rearranging unless I was doing that.  And if I was going to put down flooring then I should just hold off too.  Finally this past Saturday night I needed a project to keep me busy so I figured I would just go ahead and move things around.

I realized after the fact that I didn't have any pictures of the initial set up.  I'm a terrible blogger - no before pictures.  Never fear though, because I'm so good to you, my beloved readers, I went and drew up a handy dandy diagram for you.


Totes to scale.  

Basically all the furniture was scrunched up into the smaller section of the basement, while the larger area sat mostly empty except for the wall of crates tucked off in the back.  It fit and it seemed to make sense but I just felt like the space could be better used.

Here's an equally to scale diagram of the after.


But for the after I took real pictures for you.  You're welcome.

I moved all the crates over to the corner by the stairs - I like the way that the books kind of wrap around you now and seem to have a smaller footprint.  Corners are always tricky, and what better way to fill them up than with books?


The longer side of the room is now the TV viewing area.  It's a little bit narrow, but that can't be helped because of the support beam in the middle of the room.  But you know, gotta keep the house from falling down.  I like it though - it feels much cozier.


So now the empty area is the smaller part of the basement - have no fear though, I have a plan.  See, I want to get a new kitchen table (well, not a real new one.  I want to get an old dinette set for the kitchen) and move the round table down here to use for crafts and cards and games and stuff.  I hate having a round table in the kitchen, I never ever use it.  It feels like it will be better used down here.  Then that wall with the curtain there?  That's just a small wall that closes off a storage area.  It just so happens to be the perfect length to float a little bar out in front of it and hopefully mount some shelves on there.  You know, whenever I get around to finding a nice little bar.


I'm still going back and forth on whether or not I should paint the floors down there.  On the one hand it seems like a great temporary solution, but on the other hand it feels like a lot of effort for something that I would eventually want to cover up.  I have a few area rugs I can spread around for now, and might be grabbing another one from Target since they're 50% off so maybe that will be good enough for the time being?  What do you guys think?  Paint, no paint?


It's a cozy little zone now, and hopefully one that Vivian and I will find ourselves using more often.  It's so strange having half of a house that's rarely used!


No comments: