Tuesday, 3 February 2015

The Wall O Canadiana

I know - it's hard to believe it, but it actually happened.  After spending far too much time agonizing over how to frame things I just kind of snapped and threw things up on the wall.  There's still a bunch of smaller stuff (like my postcards) that I want to frame, but I think I'm going to get a bigger floating style frame for those and call it a day.

So behold - the main Wall O Canadiana!



And the smaller (and also incomplete) Wall O London, Ontario!



Even though they're not quite complete, I'm pretty happy with how they turned out!  The London wall has my sketches of the London Armouries, Middlesex County Courthouse, London Airport, and Eldon House, along with a Middlesex County Courthouse decorative plate.  I have two further plates that I still need to get hangers for, but I'll get around to that.





I'm not crazy about the coloured mats now that they're on a blue wall, but that can easily be swapped out at some point.  The important thing is THEY'RE ON THE WALLS.

Over on the other side, we have the full Canadiana effect.  I was spending way too much time trying to arrange small bits of things in these old wooden frames I had gotten at thrift stores and was generally making myself crazy.  The problem with the frames (even though I liked the look of them) was that there were no mats, so everything just looked messy.  For the bills in the frame I just put some linen-like cloth in behind as a backdrop and arranged things as best as I could.  Done deal.  My vintage LCBO price guide is just hanging out on a binder clip because that's how I roll, yo.




The decorative trays are just hung up with 3M picture hanging strips - they work so well!

I had also been planning on taking apart that sheet of stamps and replacing them on a nice dark background with a big white mat or something, but in the end I just trimmed up the sheet and shoved it in a frame.  Points for presentation, obviously.



Now, a lot of bloggers will tell you that the proper way to make a gallery wall is to make paper forms of all the things you want to hang and then fuss around and hang them on the wall until you're perfect satisfied with the balance of the wall and then go to town hanging them up.  I do not follow the same process.  I start with something large in the middle to anchor things (in this case, it was our dear Queen) and then worked out from there, just eyeballing what looked somewhat decent and trying to mix up the round and square shapes.  So much thought.

I wasn't sure if that old Wink ad ("Should Wink be allowed in the basic bar?") would end up here or behind my bar.  Then I remembered that I don't have a bar (yet) nor am I anywhere close to having a bar so I think it's safe to live in here for now.


I'm really happy with how it's shaped up - even though I still have things left to hang.  It makes me happy seeing all of my little treasures all hanging out together - and it's pretty much exactly how I wanted it to turn out.



I took down the shelves that used to be to the right of the window in this room.  The asymmetry was making me crazy and I didn't use the frames for anything particularly useful.  Now I figure I can wrap the Canadiana around the corner of the room there, so it's nice to have some room to grow.



Like I said, I figure I'll get a large-ish floating frame for that corner so I can put a bunch of my postcards in there without worrying about mats and stuff.  



I know some people think you should only have one gallery wall in a house, but I don't subscribe to that rule.  I love the feeling of being surrounded with things that have a story, things that I tracked down in one way or another and that I love.  One of my favourite things in the world is when I'm in someone's house and notice something interesting and get to hear the story behind it.  Fill your homes with stories, guys!

No comments: