Wednesday, 31 December 2014

Resolutions for 2015

Yes, it's that time of year where everyone makes resolutions and then manages to keep them for about two weeks before falling back to their slovenly ways.  I try not to get too crazy with the resolutions, but I think it's nice to have some ideas in mind for the new year.  Self-improvement is always a good thing if you do it in an even-handed way, or at least I think so.  First, I'll fess up to how my resolutions from 2014 went over.

Food Journal/Spending Journal - I maintained the food journal for a few months (something I've had great success with in the past) but I eventually stopped.  Not because I fell off the wagon with it, but because I found it just didn't have the same effect it once did.  I used to be really into it - almost to a point that it was bad for me.  My brain can get obsessed with things in a bad way sometimes - damn that addictive personality.  This time around it was different though.  I would write things down and whether I was eating well or poorly it didn't really make a difference to me.  Same with the spending journal - I just wasn't finding that it was making a difference with how I was spending, so I gave it up.

The Bookshelf Challenge - I actually did way better on this one than I was expecting.  The only books I bought all year were either ones that I needed for book club/graphic novel group and couldn't get from the library, or were bought with a gift card (loophole!) or for a specific purpose.  For example, I bought one book in the spring because it was written by a blogger that I enjoy and I wanted to support her book launch.  It was fun to go through the books I already had and try to get through as many of them as I could.  I used my library a lot more (which was also a resolution!) which was lots of fun for both Vivian and myself!

Clothes that make me feel my best - I stuck with this one pretty well.  I found it was less of a resolution and more of a frame of mind.  If I was questioning myself in the change room or thinking "well, maybe if this shrinks up it will fit okay..." I just put it back.  I started to slip a little bit on this at the end of the year with a couple of online purchases that were only okay but for the most part I feel like I did well.

And so, for 2015...

  • Be good to myself.  Whenever I say something bold like "No more junk food!" or "I'm going to work out 3-5 times a week, no excuses!"  I end up falling off the little good intentions train in about two days.  This year, I just want to be good to myself.  Whether that means trying to be more active (which I need to be) trying to eat better (which I struggle with) or trying to sleep more (forever up too late) or trying to have less stress in my life by paying bills on time (never answer the phone at my house!) I just want to be better to myself, and try to put myself first sometimes.
  • Continue with the Bookshelf Challenge.  There are still far too many books on my TBR (To be read) list.  I've pulled them all off of my main bookshelf area and put them on my nightstand and on a smaller shelf on the other side of my bed so they are close at hand for when I need something to read.  Having them right out in the open makes it much easier.  The challenge was also great for keeping me out of the bargain books section at Chapters, which is basically the most dangerous place on Earth.  I'll keep my gift card loophole and buy books if I need them for book club and graphic novel group, but other than that I'm going to try to read what I've got and borrow what I need from the library.
Night stand TBR #1


Night stand TBR #2
  • Be more organized.  I'm a pretty organized person most of the time, but I have overflowing cupboards and piles of "deal with it later" paperwork on my desk and little bits of chaos all over the house.  I need to do a big sweep through all the closets, drawers, nooks, and crannies and get rid of things.  One tip I'll pass along that I've been using and has been really helpful is having a "get rid of it" bin.  I have a big Rubbermaid bin sitting in my office as a drop space for anything I want to donate.  So if I come across clothes that Vivian has outgrown or something that I don't need anymore, I can put it in there instead of putting it away to deal with it later.  That keeps it out of the general population and segregated until I can take a load to Goodwill or wherever else I'm taking it.  This is also going to include finishing projects that I start - it's all about the follow-through!
  • Be more creative.  I have my outlets for creativity - namely this blog.  I've also been writing in a journal a little bit, but I would like to use my sewing machine more.  I've only tried it a couple of times in the year since I've had it and I would really like to be more familiar with it to the point that I could do some simple projects for Vivian and I.  Who knows - maybe by the end of the year I won't have any more curtains that are hemmed with safety pins!
  • Continue with clothes that make me feel awesome.  This was a good one from last year!  Life is too short to wear clothes you don't like!
  • Watch more TV.  The way I watch TV is changing rapidly, as it is for many people right now.  I've been downloading more and watching more series as a binge instead of week to week.  I've dropped my satellite package down as low as I can to accommodate this change, and I feel like I've been watching more really great TV because of it.  I've been more discerning with what I've been watching - there's too much good entertainment out there to waste time on bad TV, unless it's bad enough to make it really worthwhile!  In 2015 I would like to finally get around to watching Buffy - I started it ages ago and got sidetracked.  I also need to watch Deadwood (I know, I know!  Don't throw things at me!) and I would love to do a rewatch of The X-Files.  Priorities, people.






No comments: