Wednesday, 19 November 2014

The Single Best Piece of Parenting Advice

I defer to my friend Amanda for a lot of parenting things.  She has three young kids, and is a kindergarten teacher so she knows all the tricks and cool things.  I basically treat her house like a test lab for toys.  "Oooh, what's that toy?  Your kids seem to really like that, maybe Vivian needs one too!"  She's a good friend to have around.  She's also the friend who gave me my absolute favourite piece of kids/parenting advice.

We were out doing something with the kids one day, probably when Vivian was a baby.  Amanda was going to give me a picture of her kids so she pulled a pair of scissors out of the vehicle's console and snipped off a couple of pictures.  That's when she dropped this truth on me:

"Put a pair of scissors in your car and never EVER take them out."

That advice is gold, my friends.

I have a pair of car scissors, and they've come in handy so many times.  Got a new toy that your kid needs RIGHT THIS SECOND?  Car scissors.  Juice box or some other bag of snacks that won't open?  Car scissors.  Permission slip you forgot about?  Car scissors.  Kid threw up all over the place and you had to buy them new clothes and are trying to take off all the tags?  Car scissors.



If you don't have scissors in your car right now you need to get yourself to a dollar store and buy a pair of car scissors.  I swear you won't regret it!

No comments: