Tuesday, 21 October 2014

Walrus Yes!


If there's one thing that Kevin Smith is, it's a storyteller.  The man can weave a yarn like few others.  I love hearing him get excited about an idea and just push it to its limit, no matter how ridiculous it becomes.  That's why I love his movies, his podcasts, his books.  Last summer, I listened to Smodcast #259: The Walrus and the Carpenter, wherein Kevin and Scott Mosier discussed an ad where someone had posted seeking a roommate - but with one caveat.  The roommate had to be prepared to dress and act as a walrus.  Yes, the ad ended up being a prank, but they took that idea and by the end of the podcast Kevin had come up with an entire movie based around this insane idea, and encouraged the audience to tweet their approval for a movie with #walrusyes or #walrusno if they thought they were crazy.  The story goes that Kevin began working on an actual screenplay for the movie as a distraction while he was awaiting approval for Clerks III.  Once he realized that there was an audience for the movie and that it could be made on a small scale, with a small budget he went for it.  

There are few filmmakers in Hollywood who would go out on such a crazy limb, but he did it.  The film is supposed to be bizarre and unforgettable, and I am dying to see it.

Much to my excitement, there's a chance it will be coming to London at the Hyland Cinema.  The Hyland is one of my favourite places in London, and I try to support them as much as I can.  I don't even smuggle snacks there - that's how much I love it.  They are trying to screen the movie on November 28th at 9:00 p.m., but they need to have 100 advanced tickets to make it happen.  Currently, there are 4 tickets sold.  That would be 2 tickets for me, and 2 tickets for Jenn.  So, that's where you guys come in.  Be one of the other 96 people who are going to be there that night.  Be as cool as I am.

You can pre-order your tickets here.  If they don't sell enough tickets and have to cancel, the money will be refunded so you have nothing to lose!  That night is also the retromania movie night, and they'll be showing The Matrix after Tusk, so it's basically my perfect evening. 

Come on.  It's a movie about a guy being turned into a walrus that is based off an idea from a podcast.  How do you not want to see this?


No comments: