Wednesday, 22 October 2014

Thrifting Lately

I haven't been doing too much thrifting the last little while - I tend to avoid them around Halloween.  They're too busy, and picked over, and I find they don't put out as much of the regular stuff to make room for the costume stuff.  It makes sense, and I appreciate that it must be a very busy time of year for them, but I'm in it for the random treasures.  Here are the few things that I have found lately!

I scored another tray for my Wall O Canadiana that still hasn't happened yet but I'm working on picking out a paint colour.  I couldn't resist the little brassy beauty with the provincial flowers!  Plus, Mountie.  I love me a Mountie.  $2.99 at Talize for this one.



I found these book ends at Value Village and am still annoyed that they each had a different price on them - $3.99 on one and $5.99 on the other.  The logic was that one of them was in better shape than the other, but I reasoned that they're a set and should be priced as such.  They ended up giving them to me for $3.99 each, but I was still annoyed.


This bowl was one that I saw, and was immediately drawn to, but put it down and wandered away.  I have a lot of bowls (damn vintage Pyrex being so cute!) but I just couldn't stay away from this one.  I wandered on back to it and took it home - I couldn't resist that black and gold geometric detail.  I asked Vivian what we should keep in it, and she said candy.  I don't disagree.  $3.99 at Value Village.



Brass animals are becoming harder and harder to come by since they've been all the rage in the blogosphere.  I come across a lot of the usual stuff, like the swans and cats but I prefer to focus my attention on the more unusual pieces.  I thought this little pelican was unusual enough to join the menagerie.  He's in need of a good polishing, but other than that he fits right in.  $3.99 at Talize.


See?  He's chilling withe the unicorn and the dinosaur.  Totally normal.



Now this is exciting, and it wasn't even my find.  I have a friend who has a pictographic map of London, and I am basically plotting an elaborate heist to steal it.  So when he came across a similar map of Windsor at Goodwill, he was nice enough to pick it up for me.


I'm hoping that the information on the map - made by Archar Inc. out of Scarborough - will help me find a London map of my own.

I actually don't know much about Windsor - I think I've only been there once or twice.  But I do love those graphics!  Here's some of my favourite locations.




Apparently maps like these were very popular in the 70s and 80s.  I think they should make a comeback!

No comments: