Tuesday, 28 October 2014

About those fall shows...

It's been a pretty quiet season for Fall TV - all of those shows that premiered, and thus far only Manhattan Love Story has been cancelled!  I was reading a report that the networks are holding off on cancelling things not only because of DVR numbers, but also because they're wary of the lineup they have for midseason and so it may be safer to stick it out with the initial shows.

Madam Secretary - I've actually really been enjoying this show!  It's a bit of a surprise for me, but I am keeping it around.  Tim Daly in glasses?  I'm not mad at it.  The show has an awesome cast - it's one of those shows where I'm constantly saying "Oh, it's that guy!"  You know, people like Bebe Neuwirth, that luck bastard who is married to Christina Hendricks (also known as Geoffrey Arend), and Keith Carradine.  I'm a few episodes behind, but I'm sticking with it.

Mulaney - Ugh, Mulaney.  I wanted to like this show so much, but I just don't think I can do it.  I might give it one more episode, but even that is being generous.  I'm sorry Nasim Pedrad, I tried!

Gotham - So far I've been quite pleased with Gotham.  I like the direction they're heading, and I am loving the casting.  I've heard a few people complain about the overall aesthetics of the show, complaining that it's not dark enough, but it doesn't bother me.  I find the colours can be a little bright in some scenes, but I wonder if that's a stylistic choice?  That the city hasn't truly gotten as dark as it will become?  Maybe I'm overthinking it.  Probably.

Scorpion - I like this, but don't love it.  It's entertaining enough, especially to have on in the background while I'm folding laundry or something.  I don't like how they continue to hit us over the head with "They're wacky geniuses!  They think differently than the rest of us!" but I suppose that's to be expected with a new series.  It's been given a full season order now, so I'm more likely to stick with it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the episodes start to pile up on the ol' PVR.

Forever - A pleasant surprise!  I wasn't expecting much from this show, but I'm really enjoying it!  I like to say it's like a mix of Sherlock Holmes and Sleepy Hollow.  I really like the supernatural storyline, and the case of the week structure keeps things fairly light.  Plus, it's a pretty darn good looking British guy who is regularly naked in the water, so there's that.

Selfie - I don't know why everyone is hating on this show so hard.  Everyone seems to be dumping on it just because of the name.  Really, it's not a bad show.  It's not the greatest show either, but it's cute and somewhat charming, and it regularly makes me laugh.  I'm sticking with Selfie!  Maybe I'll start posting selfies while I watch Selfie - so meta.

The Flash - So my PVR screwed up and didn't record the first two episodes.  I could have looked for them online, but instead I took a risk and just watched episode three.  I didn't have a problem following it, but I'm not completely attached to it yet either.  I'll be keeping this one around though!

Marry Me - This is kind of another "like, not love" situation.  I love Casey Wilson - LOVE her.  And I definitely won't give up on the show simply because I love her that much.  But I feel like they just have a few bumps to smooth out before I can love the show.  It seems a little bit all over the place, and it seems like there are too many other wacky characters - there doesn't really seem to be a "straight man" in any of it.  Hopefully it settles into a good rhythm soon - I am loving Tim Meadows as one of Casey Wilson's dads!

Red Band Society - I watched the first episode and then bailed.  I just, I don't know.  It felt a little too try-hard for me.  I'm sure it's a great show for some other people, just not something I wanted to stick with.

The Mysteries of Laura - Same for poor Laura.  I watched the first episode and bailed.  It wasn't that it was terrible, it was just too meh for me.

Stalker - I'm enjoying this one more than I expected, but I might have to slow down on watching it since I had a super creepy dream last night about someone hiding in my basement and sneaking around my yard.

How To Get Away With Murder - Eh, I'm on the fence with this.  It has all those fun Shonda elements, but at the same time it's just not quite gelling for me.  Maybe it's the legal side that's annoying me?  Everything seems to happen ridiculously fast on the show - they're in court all the time, but also in class and working around the office.  I don't know how many hours they have in a day, but I feel like it's a lot more than I have.  I'm not loving the whole "flashforward" plot either - it's just not drawing me in.  I might give it a few more episodes, but at this point it isn't something that I look forward to watching.

Gracepoint - Full disclosure - I haven't watched this yet.  My plan was to just wait until after the whole 10-episode series has aired and then watch it as a marathon.  I'm hearing such terrible things about it though, I might just drop the whole thing so as not to tarnish my memory of the sublime Broadchurch.

Bad Judge - This is kind of my guilty pleasure show.  It's ridiculous, to be sure, but there's something about seeing Kate Walsh in this role that works for me.  They seem to be pushing it to be even more ridiculous, which is working for it.  Sometimes a show needs to decide if they're just going to go all-out bonkers or not, and that is definitely the way to go for this one.  My favourite line from last week's episode was when it was suggested that she needs to carry a gun for protection, and her response was, "Are you kidding?  You've seen me at McDonalds at the breakfast cut off, you can't add a weapon to that equation!"

A to Z - Oh it's just oh so adorable, isn't it?  I'm on board for this one, but I do feel like they're trying just a little bit too hard to be the next How I Met Your Mother.  Half hour comedies though, I do love them.

Constantine - I was pretty impressed with the pilot episode - the effects seemed decent, and the plot moved along nicely.  I liked the bit about his business cards - I hope they're able to keep that wit going.  It's also a bit of a LOST reunion with Harold Perrineau and Jeremy Davies.  It's always hard to say after only one episode - but I'm pretty hopeful about this one, especially since there isn't much else on on a Friday night.

What shows are you sticking with this fall?

No comments: