Thursday, 4 September 2014

Fall TV 2014

Here we go - the big round up of the fall TV schedule!  This post is always a beast to write, but I just get so excited about all the new shows that I can't help myself!  As always, this is just a list about what I'll be watching this fall, not a comprehensive list of all the shows.  I dropped some shows last year, and even though these are what I'm planning on watching this fall I will most likely drop more.  I'm just finding that I watch TV so differently now by downloading and using Netflix and just stockpiling entire seasons on my PVR to binge on them later.  It's a different time, my friends!

So here's what I'll be up to this fall - and you can check out TVLine's full fall schedule calendar here.

SUNDAY
Boardwalk Empire (9:00 p.m. HBO, September 7) - Returning for its final season, and honestly I'm glad that it's ending.  It's time to lay this one to rest.

Madam Secretary (8:00 p.m. CBS, September 21) - I love Tea Leoni, so I'm hoping that this show does well.  It has an interesting premise and seems well done.  The Sunday time slot seems a little risky for a new show to pull off, but here's hoping.



Brooklyn Nine-Nine (8:30 p.m. FOX, September 28) - It took a little while, but this show really grew on me.  By the end of the season I was really into it and rewatching it on Netflix over the summer really reinforced how clever and cute this show is.

Resurrection (9:00 p.m. ABC, September 28) - I saved the whole first season on the PVR and binged on it over the summer.  I enjoy this show, but I'm not super invested in it.  I'll probably stockpile the whole season again and save it for the winter hiatus or something.

Revenge (10:00 p.m. ABC, September 28) - There's been a few missteps, but I thought the show was starting to come around by the end of the previous season.  Here's hoping that they can keep up the pace this season.

Mulaney (9:30 p.m. FOX, October 5) - I love me some Nasim Pedrad so I'm anxious to see how she does on a sitcom!



The Walking Dead (9:00 p.m. AMC, October 12) - Another show that was stockpiled on the PVR.  I'll probably do the same again this year.  Honestly I was close to dropping it, but the previous season piqued my interest enough to keep it going.

Homeland (9:00 p.m. SHO, October 5) - I'm not sure if I'll be able to record this one (stupid conflicts and only being allowed to record two shows at once...) and I still have to watch the third season, but I would love to stockpile season four so it's ready and waiting for me.


MONDAY
Gotham (8:00 p.m. FOX, September 22) - Holy crap, how excited am I for this?  I love the way they're going about this show - there's such a rich history of looking at the law enforcement side of Gotham (Streets of Gotham is one of my favourite comics, I was so sad when it was cancelled) and I think they've done a great job with the casting.



The Big Bang Theory (8:00 p.m. CBS, September 22) - Doing some shuffling with scheduling this year, The Big Bang Theory starts out in the Monday timeslot and then moves back to Thursdays later in the fall.

Scorpion (9:00 p.m. CBS, September 22) - I'm a little unsure about this one, but I'm going to give it a go for the first episode.  It seems like this years The Black List, which I really enjoyed at the start of last year, but gave up on it by the end of the season.  We shall see.



Sleepy Hollow (9:00 p.m. FOX, September 22) - Oh Sleepy Hollow, you are so ridiculous and fun and don't ever change.

Mom (8:30 p.m. CBS, September 29) - I feel like I shouldn't like this show as much as I do, but I have a soft spot for those half hour comedies.  They're just comfort food for me.

State of Affairs (10:00 p.m. NBC, November 17) - Meh, honestly I don't have super high hopes for this one, but I'll check it out.  It's Katherine Heigl's big return to TV and it's kind of a bizarre role for her.  I don't find her entirely believable in it, but that's just judging from the trailer.



TUESDAY
New Girl (9:00 p.m. FOX, September 16) - As much as I used to love this show, the last season was pretty weak.  It dragged, they added too many new characters, and there was a whole episode that was basically a commercial for Zoey Deschanel's line of clothes with Tommy Hilfiger.  That being said, I do still love the core cast and I hope they can return to their former quippy glory.

The Mindy Project (9:30 p.m. FOX, September 16) - I'm so excited for Mindy to come back, I love this show so freaking much!  It's just adorable and hilarious and I've been rewatching the first two seasons a lot on Netflix.  Mindy and Danny forever!

Forever (10:00 p.m. ABC, premiering September 23, sneak preview on September 22) - Speaking of forever...whoa I just did a little segue there.  It's an interesting premise, a medical examiner who is reborn every time he dies.  Didn't Tom Cruise just make this movie this summer?  The cast seems charming though, so I'll check it out.



Selfie (8:00 p.m. ABC, September 30) - This modern update of My Fair Lady could go horribly wrong or horribly right.  I can't resist John Cho though.  He's somehow charming and funny and sleazy all at the same time.  And even though I haven't started watching Dr. Who yet, I know that Karen Gillan is the star and that she's a big deal.



The Flash (8:00 p.m. CW, October 7) - The comic book shows are taking over!  The CW has done a great job with Arrow, and they look to repeat that formula with The Flash.  The trailers have looked awesome and it seems like they're striking the right balance with the character, so I'm excited!



Marry Me (9:00 p.m. NBC, October 14) - Oh Casey Wilson, I will watch you in anything.  Hooray for more Casey Wilson on TV!



About a Boy (9:30 p.m. NBC, October 14) - If you didn't catch this show's first season when it was on in the spring, it's worth checking out.  It's very sweet, and Minnie Driver is hilarious in it.  Plus it's a show with David Walton that wasn't cancelled in the first season!  I've watched him in so many series that have been cancelled so quickly, it's nice to see him in something that seems to be doing well.


WEDNESDAY
Red Band Society (9:00 p.m. FOX, September 17) - I was a little uncertain about this before checking out the trailer, but it seems to have heart.  I figure it's worth checking out, especially with Steven Spielberg as an executive producer.



The Mysteries of Laura (8:00 p.m. NBC, premiering September 24, sneak preview on September 17) - Again, not totally sold on this one, but I really like Debra Messing and the trailer seems to be clever.



The Goldbergs (8:30 p.m. ABC, September 24) - I wasn't expecting much from this show last year, but it ended up being one of my favourites.  That kid kills me - the episode where he and his sister are waiting in line to see Star Wars and he shrieks, "That's a Tauntaun and you know it!" still makes me laugh.

Modern Family (9:00 p.m. ABC, September 24) - Honestly, I'm on the verge of dropping this show.  I know it keeps winning awards, but I just find that each week I end up half watching it while I'm busy doing something else.  It's really lost the magic for me.  We'll see if I keep up with it.

Nashville (10:00 p.m. ABC, September 24) - Ah, Nashville.  So much soapy, dramatic goodness.  Love this show.  Although with Hayden Panettiere being pregnant in real life I'm interested to see if that extends into the show or if they'll just have her carrying around a lot of big purses.

Stalker (10:00 p.m. CBS, October 1) - Again, the trailer is enough for me to check it out.  The cast is really good (Maggie Q, Dylan McDermott) and it's created by Kevin Williamson, who also created The Following.



Arrow (8:00 p.m. CW, October 8) - I'll be honest, I'm an entire season behind on Arrow.  The entire second season is still sitting on my PVR.  I know, I know!  You can stop throwing things now.  I'll record the third season while I'm working away on the second season.


THURSDAY
Grey's Anatomy (8:00 p.m. ABC, September 25) - Yes, Grey's is still around.  I really wish they would give this show an end date.  I always tell myself that I'm going to stop watching, but somehow I'm still sticking around.  I actually have a fondness for watching this show on Saturday mornings for some reason.

Scandal (9:00 p.m. ABC, September 25) - OMG Scandal!  Scandal is the greatest, I want to just follow Olivia Pope around and carry her coats for her.

How to Get Away with Murder (10:00 p.m. ABC, September 25) - Another Shonda Rimes offering, turning Thursday nights on ABC into a complete Shonda lineup.  The name is brutal (and doesn't even make for a good acronym - HTGAWM) but the trailer looks really great, and they are hyping this one hard.



Gracepoint (9:00 p.m. FOX, October 2) - I don't know why they're making an American version of this since the original (Broadchurch) was so fantastic, but they are.  And the cast is fantastic - David Tennant is back in the same role, and Anna Gunn should be a great fit for the show.  It's a limited run of 10 episodes, so I will probably stockpile it and just watch it all at once.  If you haven't seen Broadchurch though, you should definitely check it out.



Bad Judge (9:00 p.m. NBC, October 2) - I wasn't planning on watching this until I checked out the trailer and saw that Adam McKay is one of the creators and Will Ferrell is also an executive producer.  The premise is pretty far-fetched, but maybe it will just be cute and fun.  Half hour comedies get a lot of leeway with me.



A to Z (9:30 p.m. NBC, October 2) - This seems like a cute and sweet comedy, and I really liked Cristin Milioti when she was on How I Met Your Mother.  I hope they steer it more towards the comedy than towards something dramatic though, it seems like they're trying to walk that line.



Reign (9:00 p.m. CW, October 2) - It took me quite a few episodes to get into this show, but by the end of the season I was quite enjoying it.  It's pretty ridiculous, but the people and costumes are pretty, which is sometimes enough.


FRIDAY
Constantine (10:00 p.m. NBC, October 24) - I don't know a whole lot about the Constantine character beyond the 2005 Keanu Reeves film, but I actually quite enjoyed that.  As I said before, I'm just so glad to see that comic book characters and stories are being so strongly embraced right now, so I'll be checking out this show.




SATURDAY
Saturday Night Live (11:29 p.m. NBC, September 27) - Live from New York for the 40th season!  There's been a lot of cast changes, and the loss of announcer Don Pardo will definitely be felt.  I haven't heard who is hosting the season premiere yet, but you can bet that I'll be watching - even if it is as Sunday Morning Recorded.

There ya go - that's my plan for the fall!  And this is me trying to scale back...yikes.


No comments: