Thursday, 11 September 2014

Coincidences

Coincidences are weird.

So last Friday I watched the HBO documentary "Captivated: The Trials of Pamela Smart" because I'm a sucker for an HBO true crime documentary.  It was interesting, and it was a trial that I didn't know much about beforehand.  During the documentary, they interviewed Joyce Maynard, because she was the author of the novel "To Die For" which was inspired by the Pamela Smart trial.  You may remember that it was also a movie starring Nicole Kidman.

Then last night I was watching the documentary "Salinger" about, obviously, J.D. Salinger.  And again, there was Joyce Maynard.  Apparently she lived with Salinger for a period of time.

Then today I went to the library to pick up my book for book club.  (Admittedly very late, since book club is meeting on Tuesday, but whatever)  And what is our selection this month?  "Labor Day" by Joyce Maynard.  And yes, it irritates me to no end that I'm not including the "U" in labour, but I can deal with it.



So what am I to take away from this?  What is the universe trying to tell me?  Am I supposed to read more of Joyce Maynard's work?  Do I watch far too many documentaries?  Or is Joyce Maynard just a bit of an attention whore who pops up in an excessive amount of things?  Discuss.  And tell me about your weird coincidences out there in the universe.

No comments: