Wednesday, 10 September 2014

Closet Round Up

Yes, it's that post you've all been anxiously waiting for.  Every year (I think this is the third or fourth time I've done it?) I do a post where I assemble all of the clothes that I own.  Why do I do it?  Certainly not to show off.  I do it because it holds me accountable for the clothes that I wear and don't wear.  Putting them all up on the internet for everyone to see makes me reconsider if I really need to hold onto that extra shirt or if I really need that dress that I keep but never wear.  Plus one of my New Year's resolutions was to only buy clothes that I really love and that make me feel my best, so it all fits.  Also it's a little more interesting this year to see how much my wardrobe has changed since my surgery.  I feel like I'm still trying to figure out what works and what doesn't, but it's been nice to not be quite as restricted.

Here goes.

12 Dresses
These are in heavy rotation.  There's only 2 dresses that are too fancy for wearing to the office and only 2 other ones that I sometimes second guess wearing, but everything else is a total staple that I can grab and go with.



7 Graphic Tees
As I type this, there's a new shirt on its way from TeeFury, but we'll pretend that isn't happening.  This is basically what I wear on weekends.  Sometimes I'll mix up some of them with work clothes (like the red True Detective shirt, or the vintage Kennedy Space Centre shirt) but for the most part they're not really work appropriate so they're a treat on the weekend.



9 Real Shirts
As in, shirts that aren't just t-shirts.  It's been fun to be able to wear button down tops again, since that was always something that was difficult before my surgery.


12 Tank Tops
Here's a category that hardly existed last year.  It's been so much easier for me to just throw on a tank this summer, I've really enjoyed it.  They're just so easy to dress up with skirts or dress down with jeans.  I know it's not a big deal for everyone, but it was really fun for me to be able to have cute little racerback tanks.


7 Plain T-Shirts
Just good basics to have around.  Most of them are from Maurices, which has become my new go-to for basic tees.


2 Blazers, 2 Vests
All new this year - I've really enjoyed having some fun blazers to wear with skirts at work and then just skinny jeans on the weekends.  Just as easy as throwing on a cardigan, but so much cuter!  The vests have been fun too, especially with dresses.



2 "Goodies"
Ah, the good hoodie.  The one on the left is my same old Dharma jacket that I've had forever, and the one on the right was purchased out of necessity while on vacation.


10 Skirts
Loosely categorized, these four are primarily winter skirts, except for the black one.  I wear the black skirts year round.  Sadly, the brown "leather" one doesn't fit currently.  Stupid non-stretching material.  I'm keeping it around until I find another one that I like just as much though.  Or until I lose a little weight, whatever happens first.


These ones are mostly summery skirts, again except for the black skirt which works year round.  The bottom two have been awesome for this summer - perfect with tees and tanks.


The grey striped skirt is one of my favourite things that I own, and the polka dot skirt always gets compliments, but I find it a little weird to wear because of a stupid waistband.


3 Pairs of Pants
Yup, clearly I favour the skirts and dresses over the pants.  I've still kept it to just the one pair of jeggings (which are from Maurices and are amazing and I love them and need them in black), then my real jeans from the Gap, and a pair of Lululemons.  The Gap jeans have become my gauging jeans - as long as I can still fit into those jeans then I'm good.  They're a size smaller than a lot of my other clothes, and don't have a huge amount of stretch to them so they keep me in check.


2 Pairs of Shorts
This is the real weak link of the wardrobe for me.  After the scorching summer we had last year, I figured I had better suck it up and buy some shorts.  I'm not a big fan of shorts.  I don't really like the way they make me look, even though they can be useful.  So I got the black pair from Smart Set as a kind of work-appropriate dressy pair, and then the jean pair for whatever else.  I don't really like either of them though.  Somehow they both feel like they're too big and too small at the same time.  Blech.


9 Cardigans
No one ever has enough cardigans.  I often have one stuffed in my purse, just in case.


1 Real Sweater
The only non-cardigan sweater.  I was actually on the verge of getting rid of this before the surgery, and now it's one of my favourite things.

11 Pairs of Tights
A winter staple - and it's kind of annoying me that there's only 11 pairs and not a nice, tidy dozen.


In the shoes department...

4 Pairs of Flats
I keep it pretty basic anymore.  I find that having leopard print flats (and yes, I have two pairs), a black pair and a cute colour that can work with pretty much everything covers all my bases.


2 Running-type Shoes
Just my Target style Converse and my Toms.  I haven't quite figured out how to wear the Toms yet, but I do like the look of them.  And I'm realizing now that I didn't take a picture of my old crappy running shoes that I use to cut the grass, but you get the idea.



3 Pairs of Heels
My one pair of dressy shoes, and then two pairs of espadrille wedge type deals for the summer.


3 Pairs of Boots
The grey boots and the brown boots have proved to be super versatile, and I'm glad they're still in good shape for another winter.  And in very exciting news - while I was writing this post I thought I would try on my old Docs that I've been dragging around even though I haven't worn them in years.  I thought they were too small for me now, but they actually fit perfectly!  Hooray!  So I'm going to get some new laces for them and see if I can mix them in again.  The 90s are back, my friends.



2 Pairs of Sandals
I've been living in those gold gladiator sandals.  I'll be sad to see them get packed away for the winter.  These are my second and third pairs of sandals for this summer though, which is frustrating.  I hate having a pair of sandals die on me before the summer is over.  Also, sandals always look gross in pictures.



1 Rain Jacket
I got this in the spring from the Columbia Store.  I get a pass to the Columbia Employee Store at the factory in the spring and fall and have been using it not only to get Vivian's stuff but also to try and get one nice thing for myself each time.  This rain jacket has been perfect - super lightweight, but totally waterproof.  I'll have it for years.


1 Leather Jacket
Oh my leather jacket.  I don't know if I'll ever part with it.  It's been so good to me, I just love this jacket.


1 Dressy Winter Coat
My lovely green coat was a lovely Christmas present.  The colour is perfect.  I wish that the button placement was a little different though - I might see about getting an extra button added to help it out.


1 Heavy Duty Winter Coat
This one got a lot of wear last winter.  Normally it's just for shovelling show, but there were lots of days where I needed it just to get to and from work.  I'm hoping to get a new winter coat this month with my Columbia Store pass since this one is from my first year of university in 2001.  Please note the interior pocket for a Discman.  That's how old this coat is.


1 Vintage Jacket
I just don't know what to do with this jacket.  It's never fit right, probably because it looks homemade.  For whatever reason my forearms are too big for this jacket.  It fits everywhere else, but it's tight on my forearms.  So weird.  I can't bear to part with it though - how I can I slim down my forearms?  Any thoughts?


1 Kind of In-Between Coat
Just a cheapy one from Old Navy, it's got a fleece lining to make it a 3-in-1.  It's just a nice one to throw on for raking leaves and things like that.


So that's about it - my whole wardrobe!  I didn't take a picture of my snowpants or anything, but I got myself a good pair of those from Columbia too and have been one of the best purchases I've ever made.  I figure these posts are either extremely boring or extremely interesting to people.  I know that I would like to peek in someone else's closet, so hopefully you enjoy it!

No comments: