Friday, 28 March 2014

Very Vivian - Dinner Date


Vivian and I have been spending a lot of time on the road lately.  And time on the road usually means a Happy Meal thrown her way while we're trying to get from Point A to Point B.  Last night though, I thought I would push my luck and try taking her to a real, live restaurant.

See, I don't like setting Vivian up to fail.  I try to avoid situations that I don't think she can handle, because it just makes things easier in the end.  Taking little kids to restaurants is always a challenge, so while I had taken her to restaurants when she was small, it has been on hiatus for the last year or so.  Things like sitting still, eating food instead of throwing it, and not melting down are not always things that Vivian excels at.

I decided to go to Boston Pizza, and it worked out so well!  I read her the riot act before we went in - we're going to eat our food, then she could have ice cream.  She has to listen to Mommy, or else we will leave.  Aside from one small incident where her bare foot somehow landed on the table, we had a lovely little dinner together.  We really lucked out by having a great waitress who helped Vivian put on a temporary tattoo.  Boston Pizza seemed to have some really great options on the kids menu, so I got her the chicken fingers and veggies, but ordered a side order of fries for us both to pick at and the waitress brought that out to us before the rest of our food.  Nothing fancier than fries as an appetizer.  

Who knows - maybe next she'll be ready to head to an antique mall with me!

1 comment:

Lawrence Neal said...

I like how flexible you are with Vivian's behavior. It's true that routines are the safest way to avoid a child from being difficult, but the best way to find out if they'll like the change is to try it out and observe her reaction. I'm glad things worked out well in the end. And it looks like she enjoyed that healthy plate of food as well. Take care!

Lawrence Neal @ Prime-13