Thursday, 27 March 2014

Pop Culture Blind Spots

I pride myself on having a pretty well-rounded knowledge of pop culture.  I like to at least have a working knowledge of the major things, at least to be able to pick up on references and get the jokes.  It's hard work, and is probably part of the reason why I have an almost-full PVR (with a new external hard drive waiting to help out!) and over 200 unread blog posts currently in my reader.

However, there are those blind spots.  You know what I mean, those areas of pop culture where you just have zero knowledge.  My friend Jenn has never watched The Simpsons.  That's a massive blind spot.  I can't even keep track of how often I drop Simpsons quotes into general conversation.  She's gotten to the point that if there's a reference she doesn't get, she just assumes that it's from The Simpsons.  My friend Suzanne hasn't seen The Wizard of Oz.  These are two people who are equally invested in pop culture, but that's just their blind spot.  (Side note/hilarious story - My mom didn't watch The Wizard of Oz in colour until she was 17.  Up until then she had no idea that they switch to colour once they get to Oz!)

If I had to pinpoint my own blind spot, it would probably be all things Pride and Prejudice/Sense and Sensibility/anything in that vein.  I've never read them.  I've never seen the movies or the miniseries or whatever else there is.  I have a vague understanding of who Mr. Darcy is (we like him, yes?) or is it D'Arcy?  I DON'T KNOW.  I could throw my lack of Whovian knowledge in there too, but I'm planning on rectifying that one.

The best part about blind spots is that sometimes they can get filled in without you even realizing it.  I didn't watch The Godfather for the first time until I was well into high school, or maybe even early into university.  But by the time that I watched it, I already knew what was going to happen.  Nothing was a surprise because it's been parodied so much in other things.  I expected the horse head, the car bomb, all of it.  It was like I had already seen it.  Maybe if I hang around the girls at book club a little bit more I'll be able to fill in my Jane Austen/Bronte sisters blind spot without actually putting any effort into things.

Tell me all about your blind spot - I think everyone has one!

1 comment:

Geoff MacDonald said...

My blind spot? Music. It's such a huge part of people's lives, especially a lot of the people closest to me. I just don't follow it much. I could take it or leave it. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I don't enjoy a song or get into it. But I won't/don't go to concerts, I don't buy or download music and I don't care much about which band is playing where. It just doesn't effect my life. It leaves it hard to relate to some of my friends where music is such a driving force in their lives.

Oh, and if it makes you feel any better, your blind spot is also another of my blind spots, but that could be because I have a Y chromosome...