Thursday, 2 January 2014

The question I probably shouldn't ask



There are a great many things in My List on Netflix.  Movies I've never gotten around to seeing, documentaries that sound interesting, TV series that I love and will watch over and over again, and TV series that I've always wanted to see.  But there's one TV series that intimidates me like no other - Doctor Who.

I really, really want to get into this show, but to be honest, I find it completely overwhelming.  I mean, the show has been on for 50 years.  Where does one begin?  There's a new doctor now, so should I just start watching the newest episodes and start with that doctor?  Should I be capitalizing "Doctor"?  Should I be referring to him as Dr.?  SO MANY RULES TO LEARN.

Netflix has 7 seasons of Doctor Who, plus I think there are several versions of classic episodes.  I'm at a complete loss on where to start with it, I'm such a noob.

Someone give me some direction.  I'd really like to be a more well-rounded nerd and I feel like I definitely need some Doctor Who knowledge.  I kind of feel like an angry mob is going to show up at my door just for asking this though.

2 comments:

Sadie Grant said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

YAAAAYYYY!!! First of all, the seven seasons of Doctor Who that are on Netflix are the revived seasons, originally started by Russell T. Davies, but it was taken over by Steven Moffat after season 4.

You don't need the classic series to know what's going on, but you should definitely start from the beginning of the revived series, with the episode "Rose" featuring Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor as storylines will pop up again and again throughout the entire series that were first referenced in the early New Who seasons. Now, I have to admit, the first few episodes are campy, but they are brilliant. Don't worry, it gets better as the season goes on.

As for what to spell the Doctor, it's Doctor. Good luck if you decide to watch it!