Monday, 30 December 2013

Treats of the Week - Anyone know where the last week went?

Well, if you're anything like me your days are completely mixed up, you've eaten entirely too much food, your house is in a constant state of disaster and you're in that special stressy spot that comes with paying post-Christmas bills.  Christmas was pretty great with Vivian this year, but the last couple of days have been filled with the stress of a locked-out bank account (finally sorted out today), and what is probably a cracked rib from too much coughing (there isn't supposed to be sharp, stabbing pain in your side when you cough or sneeze, right?) anyway, here are the bright spots to close out 2013!


  • I gave my friend Dan some tips on Boxing Day shopping to help him out with a story in the London Free Press.  I didn't think much of it - just passing on some info to help out a friend.  Apparently everyone in my family and everyone who knows my mother still reads the newspaper though, since I was inundated with congratulations and my mom yelling at me for not telling her about it.  You can find it here - but I assure you, it isn't a big deal.  If I had had my shit together I would have had some more blog posts last week to make use of the extra traffic, but oh well.
  • I didn't really do much Boxing Day shopping though (the whole locked bank account thing kind of put a damper on things) but I did score some Christmas wrapping paper for next year at Target, as well as a couple of $5 t-shirts.  
  • Vivian did really well on Christmas - I think she only had one tiny meltdown on Christmas Eve.  It's strange to say, but it's really nice not to yell at kids at Christmas.  It's a stressful time of year for everyone, but Vivian, Blair, and all my mom's kids did a really good job of keeping it together.
  • So far, the Christmas presents have all been hits.  You know how usually after Christmas there's that one gift that you got for a kid that ended up being kind of a dud?  It looks like that's been avoided so far.  Vivian has been really into all of her new stuff, which definitely makes it all worthwhile.

  • I was a humbug and took the tree down pretty much right away - I couldn't deal with the mess any longer.  It's so nice to get things rearranged and organized - some deals on storage containers at Canadian Tire have helped too!
  • My mom got me a bunch of Twisted Peppermint stuff from Bath and Bodyworks for Christmas - including the candle.  I'm not a big candle person, but this one smells so freaking good!  
  • There are "Best of 2013" lists everywhere - I love it.
  • A fridge full of holiday meal leftovers.
  • My mom and I took the kids to see Frozen again (it was Vivian's third time seeing it) and she was completely into the movie the whole time.  No squirming, no whining, no talking.  She was IN IT.  As soon as she woke up this morning she was asking to see Frozen again, so we might have to see it once more tomorrow for a New Year's Eve treat.  They had better release that one on DVD soon.  Oh, I also managed to catch the Rapunzel cameo in Frozen this time - you can check it out here if you missed it.
I sincerely hope that 2013 brought all good things to you.  And if it was less than ideal, then I hope that 2014 will be better!

No comments: