Wednesday, 9 October 2013

Very Vivian - Vivian on Food

Vivian has always been a terrible eater.

When she was a baby she tolerated pureed food for about two weeks before she started refusing it.  At that point we switched to baby-led weaning, putting her more in control of her consumption.  It never really worked the way I'd hoped.

Up until about three weeks ago Vivian's solid food intake was pretty limited - Kraft Dinner, scrambled eggs,  rice, french fries, feta cheese, penguin crackers, and apples were about the extent of what she would eat.  There would be many days where she would barely eat anything and would just chug the milk down instead.

Now that she's given up the bottle, a whole new world has opened up.  I've been amazed at how she doesn't even want milk at all now.  I'm in the position now of having to be careful not to buy too much milk for fear of it spoiling, where just a few weeks ago I was buying a bag of milk every 2 or 3 days.

The other day I heard Vivian say "I'm hungry" for the first time.  Her new favourite snack?  Crackers with Nutella.  And not just a couple of crackers - she'll come home from daycare and put away 10 or more crackers with Nutella in a matter of minutes if I let her.  She wakes up and wants fruit snacks right away.  She ate spaghetti for dinner the other night.  Tonight she pulled the rice out of the cupboard and said she wanted to eat it, it's amazing.



 It must sound so weird, but it's such a big adjustment to have to feed her!  Whereas before my entire concern was whether or not we had enough milk to get through the day, I'm now constantly stocking up on enough snacks and foods to keep her full.  I've really been letting her call the shots as far as food has gone, because I didn't want her to get frustrated and try to revert back to milk.  I have to say, it's been pretty fun watching her eat, even if I do have to keep running to Costco for more Nutella and fruit snacks.


So now with Thanksgiving weekend approaching, I'm excited to see what she goes for.  We have two Thanksgiving dinners to attend so she'll be exposed to a lot of food that previously would have been just out of the question.

If you have any go-to recipes for food that kids go for, I'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lily likes bbq chicken pizza, well any pizza will do. She likes beef stroganoff, lasagna, and french toast. - Sheri