Wednesday, 30 October 2013

Under the Knife

So.  I've been trying to write this blog post for the last week or so but couldn't quite figure out how to get it down.

Here goes - I'm having a breast reduction.  And it's happening last week.

It's something that's been in the works for quite some time, but I didn't think it would actually happen for at least another 6-12 months.  Then I got a phone call last week saying there had been a cancellation and I could have it done on November 7th if I wanted the appointment.  After some frantic emailing and organizing of schedules and whatnot I decided to just go for it.  So far I'm feeling very excited/nervous/overwhelmed.  I've never even had a cavity filled, so the idea of anesthetic and stitches and recovery seems very strange to me.  It's definitely time to get it done though - and I wish I'd done it a long time ago.  I have a lot more that I want to say about the whole thing, but I thought it might be best to break it down into a few different posts instead of having one giant word vomit post.  I realize that this topic might not appeal to everyone, but I wanted to get it out there for a few reasons - to have the process out there for anyone else who might be considering it (I'll do another post outlining all the different appointments and steps I had to take), and to have a record of what I was thinking for myself to look back on, and even for Vivian to look back on one day.  It's my biggest fear that she might have to have this same surgery one day, and I want her to be able to see what I was thinking as I went through it, instead of having to listen to me babble about it 20 years later or whatever.

So yeah.  It's been a crazy week.  And next week is going to be even crazier.  Then it's three weeks at home catching up on TV while I'm off work.  Feel free to comment with any questions, like I said I'm going to do some more posts about it leading up to the surgery next Thursday.  Of course I'm not the first person to go through this, but if I'm going to blog about all the other random things that I do, I might as well blog about this too.

Super fun birthday present for me, huh?

1 comment:

Sylvia Lewis-Havard said...

good for you Ashlie!! I'm a supporter of this surgery in general, mostly because I'm super conscious of back health, and there's nothing like a few heavy weights strapped to your front to make you slouch!

I have a couple friends who have been through this and were very happy about it, I'm sure you will be too!