Tuesday, 29 October 2013

Nothing Birthdays

Today is my 31st birthday.  It's been a great day, but I keep pointing out to everyone how this is such a nothing birthday.  I don't mean that it's a bad birthday, or even that it's a nothing birthday in the sense of "Oh I'm a parent, so I don't really get birthdays anymore," just that 31 seems like the most awkward, random number to me.

Consider this - when you're a kid, every birthday counts.  Even half birthdays count.  You're constantly wanting to be older, so every birthday is a huge milestone.  Then once you get into your 20s birthdays take on a whole new flavour.  You're an adult (or so I'm told) and you can make as big a deal as you want.  Want to go away for a weekend?  Go for it!  Throw a party?  Have fun!  Just get wasted on a Wednesday night by yourself?  Completely acceptable!  Sure there are some birthdays in there that aren't exactly milestones (I'm looking at you, 26, 27, and 28) but for the most part you're still young enough to pull off the whole "WOOOO, it's my birthday!" thing.

In my case I've had a few big birthdays in a row.  I made a big deal for my 29th birthday since I turned 29 on the 29th.  Then 30 is a big deal birthday.  But now 31?  It just seems wrong.  Like if I were ever going to lie about my age it would be just to make it into a round number, and not so much out of vanity.

I mean, come on.  We all know that in the card section there are certain ages that absolutely do not get their own special card.  It's generic Happy Birthday cards from here until 40.

It's weird being an adult sometimes.

No comments: