Wednesday, 4 September 2013

Vivian's Map

For whatever reason, I have this weird obsession with getting Vivian interested in maps.  They're educational, and I just think that they're fun.  We'll see if any of it actually rubs off on her.  So when I was at Costco a few weeks ago, they had a bunch of different giant maps for sale with their back to school stuff.  These things are massive - and nicely laminated.  It was only like $7.85, so you couldn't beat the price. They're obviously meant for classrooms, but I grabbed the Illustrated Children's Map thinking that it would fit nicely in a corner of Vivian's room.  I wanted to hang it low to the floor so that she could be at eye-level with it and whatnot.  Once I got it home I realized that it was way, way too big for that.  The only spot I could hang it was over her bed, which still works.  Because of it being a daybed, it's hanging a little higher than I would like for her to be able to check it out, but she still seems to like standing on her bed and checking out the Southern Hemisphere, so it's a start.

It's a Dino Map, but I couldn't seem to find the exact one on Amazon to link for you guys.  They have a bunch of different illustrated ones - the prehistoric world, animals, ancient world - but ours is just a general map of the world.  I love how random this map is though - I am finding it hilarious, and educational!



It's just covered in different illustrations - landmarks, cultural events, animals, pop culture references...



There's even different ships to help fill in the oceans - that shadowy one at the bottom is the Flying Dutchman.



All along the top they have the history of flight - starting with poor old Icarus on the left side...


...and ending with the moon landing on the far right side.


I haven't investigated it fully yet - Vivian tends to yell at me for standing on her bed and looking at her map, or touching any of her things - but here are some of my favourites so far.

Michigan is obviously represented by Rappers.


I love that there are so many mysterious locations, like the Bermuda Triangle.


Nessie also makes an appearance, and I love that the map has anarchy in the U.K.


Also, zombies.


You know something is really educational when there are zombies on it.

No comments: