Tuesday, 24 September 2013

Very Vivian - Bye-Bye Bubba!

I can hardly believe it, but Vivian is off the bottle.  VIVIAN, who was so addicted to it that I was prepared to have a knock-down, drag-out fight that would no doubt land us both in therapy for years just to get us through the process.

But of course - Grandma managed to pull it off.  Here's how it went.

On my way to Toronto on Thursday evening, Jenn saw some messages from my mom.  "Nothing's wrong, but tell Ashlie to call or text me immediately."  Gulp.  Turns out that when mom picked her up from the daycare, the bottle didn't go with them.  Not unusual, since Vivian will sometimes wander around with it and hide it throughout the day.  I was worried, but not too much.  I figured if worse came to worse mom could find one somewhere - if she didn't have one kicking around the house, then I was sure my sister would.  I texted mom a bit before and after the show, but didn't hear too much about what was going on.  I was so worried that Vivian would end up crying herself to sleep, poor thing.

But none of that happened.  She just didn't care.  She didn't even really ask for it.  Mom said she offered her some milk in a different sippy cup but Vivian just said, "That's the wrong one" and then fell asleep in the recliner.  That's it.  She slept through the night and then woke up and ate two bowls of cereal and a piece of toast.  That's probably the most she's ever eaten at a meal ever.

Then it was time for Vivian and her dad to spend the day together, and same thing.  She was fine without it - napped fine, went to bed fine, no problems.  By the time Saturday rolled around she was telling me that her bubba was all gone and that was that.

I KNOW that if I had been the first one to tell her that there was no more bubba, she would have lost it.  She's always putting on a show for me, it would have been a nightmare.  So this worked out just perfectly.  It felt a little bit like we were conspiring against her, but she doesn't seem any worse for the wear.

The change is pretty damn amazing.  Not only is she eating way more, she's markedly drier.  We're going through far fewer diapers.  Which only makes sense, since I just bought a case of diapers.  She doesn't even want milk.  I figured that she would just want to drink milk out of a sippy cup, but she wants nothing to do with it.  She's had a few sips, but other than that it's just been water for her.  I knew that once she ditched the milk, she would no doubt start eating better but it's still pretty crazy to see.  This morning she asked for fruit snacks to eat on the way to daycare, and when I said yes she replied, "My have two."  She's sleeping well through the night too - I always felt that her sleeping/eating/milk consumption was all tied together, and that if we could figure one thing out then the rest would fall into place and it finally feels like it's happening.

Now, I haven't looked into the effects of cow's milk on kids much, but she really seems to be much clearer since giving up the bottle.  When she was still drinking milk our mornings would typically go like this - I would go into her room and turn on the light.  She would still be completely passed out in bed.  I would pick out her clothes and walk in and out of her room getting things ready for about 10-15 minutes before getting her out of bed.  She would still be fast asleep as I picked her up, and would usually continue to be asleep while I dressed her.  She would whine and just be out of sorts a lot of the time.  Contrast that to this morning - I went in and turned on her light and she woke up right away.  She got herself out of bed and walked out to the living room to get dressed and have some breakfast, chatting the whole time.  Instead of needing to be carried out to the car, she walked out herself and investigated things along the way.  I haven't noticed an effect on her tantrums yet (there's been a couple of typical ones since we've ditched the bottle) but she generally seems more alert and clear.  I don't know any other way to describe it.

This morning she also woke up completely dry - so potty training should be right around the corner!  I feel another visit to Grandma's coming on...

Bedtime snack - no bottle!



No comments: