Tuesday, 10 September 2013

Quick Thrift Update

While I was waiting to meet my mom at Costco a few weeks ago I stopped in to the Value Village at the south end of London.  I rarely go there, but I was really impressed with it - it's laid out really nicely and had a lot more furniture and bigger stuff than the Value Village on the east end of Dundas.  

So I was wandering around, just looking to kill time and not to necessarily get anything, when I came across these prints of two of my favourite buildings in London - the London Armouries and the old courthouse.



The courthouse picture was pretty similar to the one I had found before at the Strathroy Antique Mall, but not in colour.  These were also priced at $7.99 each, so I didn't hesitate to grab them!

The frames were in pretty bad shape - they're the really old kind with just a cardboard backing on them, which was pretty much falling apart.  The brownish mat along with the brown frame was really making the whole thing just look yellowed and dated.

So after a few different attempts, I decided to use those old Ribba frames I had around.  I'd been wanting to switch out the art in them anyway.  The prints were pretty small, and originally I tried just using the white mat that was in them, but it was too many different shades of white and off-white, and the whole thing just didn't look awesome.

So instead I spray painted the mats with a teal paint I had sitting around.  I figured even if it didn't work I could just get smaller frames, or just keep these frames for when I had a larger print in them.  Luckily for me, I'm super happy with the result!



I gave the frames a quick coat of black paint while I was at it, just to freshen them up.  I love how the more modern, coloured mat seems to perk up the old prints!  I love thinking that these probably were hanging in someone's house for years, and now will be loved for many more years in my home!

No comments: