Thursday, 29 August 2013

Fall TV 2013

Here it is, the list of what I'll be watching this fall.  There is about a metric shit ton of new shows this season - and another slew just waiting for midseason.  As usual, I'm casting a wide net and planning on checking out a whole bunch of stuff, and will whittle things down from there.  That being said, I do have to sleep at some point, so this isn't an exhaustive list of everything out there.  All of the new shows are linked to a trailer or sneak peek if you want to check it out - I didn't embed the videos or else it would take forever to load.  Here's a link if you want a quick run down of all the new fall shows.

If you need me, I'll be right here.


Here we go!

SUNDAY

Once Upon A Time - ABC, September 29 at 8:00 p.m. - I'll be honest, the last season wasn't the greatest for me.  I do like the new direction that they seem to be taking things with Neverland though, so I'm still holding on at this point.

Revenge - ABC, September 29 at 9:00 p.m. - Another show that didn't have the greatest second season, but I will definitely still be tuning in for.  I actually don't love it in a Sunday night slot, I thought it was more fun having it on Wednesday nights where it was kind of a juicy bit of fun in the middle of the week.  However, I do have hope for this next season now that they seem to have streamlined a few random plots.

Boardwalk Empire - HBO, September 8 at 9:00 p.m. - Season 3 was completely bananas, and I have zero idea where they'll take it next.  I really love the look of this show, but I'm worried that it can't sustain many more seasons.  I would love to see them go out after 5 seasons or so rather than keep it limping along.

The Walking Dead - AMC, October 14 at 9:00 p.m. - I have to admit, I find this show to generally be a bit of a snoozefest.  It's one that tends to pile up on my PVR and then I go back and watch the whole season as a marathon.  Everyone else in the world seems to love it though, so I have to stay in touch!

Betrayal - ABC, September 29 at 10:00 p.m. - ABC seems to be trying to recreate the magic of Revenge with this new sudsy drama.  The trailer seems like it's a bit of a bore, but I'll check it out at least a couple of times.

Hello Ladies - HBO, September 29 at 10:30 p.m. - I love, love, love Stephen Merchant in all of his awkward, gangly glory.  I'm really looking forward to seeing him carry a show on his own.


MONDAY

How I Met Your Mother - CBS, September 23 at 8:00 p.m. - For their final season, they're going extremely high concept.  If you haven't heard, the entire final season will play out over the course of the wedding that the whole gang is attending (I won't say whose wedding in case people are crazy spoilerphobes) and will culminate in Ted finally meeting the titular mother.  It's really risky, but they have a bunch of guest stars (Anna Camp and Sherri Shepherd, for starters) who should help keep things fun.

Almost Human - FOX, November 4 at 8:00 p.m. - Ah yes, who doesn't love a high concept, expensive sci-fi project on FOX?  Oh wait...those don't seem to fare very well, do they?  But they did keep Fringe around, so hopefully Almost Human can follow in its footsteps, as this show is also from the mind of JJ Abrams.

We Are Men - CBS, September 30 at 8:30 p.m. - I have to admit, I have a soft spot for Jerry O'Connell.  I don't know why, but I do (You'll notice as we go along that I will watch a lot of shows based solely on the fact that I like one of the actors).  So even though this appears to be completely ripping off the dearly departed Happy Endings with that wedding sequence, I'll check this one out.

2 Broke Girls - CBS, September 23 at 9:00 p.m. - They started to lose me a little bit with this show, but I still adore Kat Dennings enough to keep watching.

Sleepy Hollow - FOX, September 16 at 9:00 p.m. - The trailer didn't completely sell me on this whole updated Sleepy Hollow, but I've got to give them points for being gutsy and a bit out there.  I'll check it out.

Mom - CBS, September 23 at 9:30 p.m. - This looks pretty terrible, actually.  I just have such a hard time buying into the whole traditional sitcom format anymore.  But for Anna Faris and Allison Janney I will at least try one episode.

Hostages - CBS, September 23 at 10:00 p.m.- Finally, here's one that I'm actually really excited about.  It's based on an Israeli series and features and awesome cast.  Toni Collette and Dylan McDermott, anyone?  Toni Collette plays a surgeon who is scheduled to operate on the President of the United States when her family is taken hostage.  She's then ordered to kill the President if she wants to save her family.  It seems very Homeland-ish to me.

Blacklist - NBC, September 23 at 10:00 p.m. - Oh boy, are they ever hyping this one up.  You've no doubt seen the ads by now - I barely even watch any NBC shows and I've seen it about 20 times.  James Spader is an international criminal who turns himself over to the FBI - what does he want?  Tune in to see James Spader acting creepy-crazy to find out!


TUESDAY

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD - ABC, September 24 at 8:00 p.m. - This is the big one.  Rarely does a show come along with so much fanfare and sky-high expectations.  I have tremendous respect for what has been built with the Marvel Universe and am super excited to see how it progresses on the small screen  Plus, Agent Coulson apparently comes back from the dead or something - do they have a Lazarus Pit in the Marvel Universe?

Dads - FOX, September 17th at 8:00 p.m. - Ugh, I want this show to be better, but it just looks brutal.  I'm only going to try to watch it because I love Seth Green and Giovanni Ribisi so much.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - FOX, September 17 at 8:30 p.m. - Andy Samberg and Terry Crews are zany cops or something.  I'm really just looking forward to watching this because I find both Samberg and Crews to be eternally funny.

The Goldbergs - ABC, September 24 at 9:00 p.m. - Yep, this looks terrible.  Jeff Garlin is enough to get me to bite for one episode though.

New Girl - FOX, September 17 at 9:00 p.m. - Oh New Girl.  There are few shows that I look forward to enough to make absolutely sure to watch them the same night that they're aired, and this is one of them.  It's always hilarious, endlessly quotable, and left us with enough of a cliffhanger that this season should be a lot of fun.

The Mindy Project - FOX, September 17 at 9:30 p.m. - This started out super blah for me last season, but after some tweaking and reworking they really had me hooked by the end.  Season 2 has James Franco and Adam Pally stopping by, which I'm really looking forward to seeing.  Now if only they would get rid of that terrible theme song...

Trophy Wife - ABC, September 24 at 9:30 p.m. - Seems pretty fluffy, but I really love Malin Akerman and I think she's a really great comedic actress so I'll tune in.

Lucky 7 - ABC, September 24 at 10:00 p.m. - This show seems just weird enough for me to tune in.  I can't quite tell if it's a comedy or a drama, but who doesn't dream about winning the lottery?


WEDNESDAY

Arrow - CW, October 9 at 8:00 p.m. - I will continue watching for as long as Stephen Amell continues to take his shirt off.  Also, I love Katie Cassidy.

Back in the Game - ABC, September 25 at 8:30 p.m. - I don't usually go for the forced "grown daughter returns home and reconnects with her dad" kind of storyline, but when that dad is James Caan?  I'll give it a shot.

Modern Family - ABC, September 25 at 9:00 p.m. - I know everyone still loves Modern Family, but the last season was a real dip in quality for me.  There were many episodes that were just meh, and not the "gotta rewind it because the last part was so funny that I missed a whole other joke" that it used to be.

Super Fun Night - ABC, October 2 at 9:30 p.m. - This is really interesting because ABC picked up this Rebel Wilson comedy last year, but held it over until they had a spot for it this year.  I'm a big fan of Rebel Wilson, and they seem to be really taking the angle of "Hey, remember her?  You think she's funny - watch this show!"  The only thing I don't like from the trailers is the whole angle of the funny fat girl.  Oh it's so funny to see her try to get in the club - she thinks she looks so good, but she's just a fat girl!  I really think it would make such a bigger statement if they just played everything straight and her body wasn't even an issue (this was also my problem with Mike & Molly)

Nashville - ABC, September 25 at 10:00 p.m. - Nashville was a huge surprise for me last year.  I started watching it expecting it to be okay, but just not for me.  It ended up being one of my favourite shows - the music is amazing, the actors are all awesome, it's soapy and dramatic enough to be exciting, but still has really genuine moments.  Love this show!

Ironside - NBC, October 2 at 10:00 p.m. - A conversation I had with a coworker who is a big Sex and the City fan - Her: "So there's a remake of that show Ironside.  And Blair Underwood is in it, so I thought you would want to know."  Me:  "Sold."  Blair Underwood is so darn handsome, and I do enjoy a good procedural.  I'm not familiar with the original 60s series, so I'll be going into it fresh.


THURSDAY

Once Upon A Time in Wonderland - ABC, October 10 at 8:00 p.m. - If the show ends up being as good and intriguing as the trailer promises, I think I'll end up liking it more than the original OUAT.  I like the idea of having this as a spinoff, but I do worry that it will be a bit of storybook overload.  On the other hand, Naveen Andrews is on it, and that's never a bad thing.

The Big Bang Theory - CBS, September 26 at 8:00 p.m. - I've gone from not understanding the appeal of this show to laughing along with it every week.  I haven't heard much about guest stars for this season, but that's probably just because I haven't been paying attention.

Parks & Recreation - NBC, September 26 at 8:00 p.m. - This should be an interesting season for a fantastic show.  There's rumour that it may be the final season, especially considering that Rob Lowe and Rashida Jones are both leaving midway through the season.  If you haven't been watching it - definitely give it a shot.  It's so fantastically written, and the cast is all stellar.  Maybe I have a soft spot for it because I work in municipal government, but I just think it's an awesome, awesome show.

The Millers - CBS, September 26 at 8:30 p.m. - Much like "The Goldbergs" this is a traditional sitcom that just doesn't sit well with me.  I'll give it a shot because of Will Arnett and JB Smoove.

Grey's Anatomy - ABC, September 26 at 9:00 p.m. - Grey's Anatomy is that rare show that got so bad that I stopped watching, but somehow manage to pull me back in.  This is the 10th season for the medical drama, and it will definitely be a dramatic one.  Sandra Oh has already announced that this will be her final season, and contracts are up in the air for the rest of the original cast.  Will they end it all?  Will they continue on with the new doctors?  Will they continue to be able to come up with natural disasters to befall these poor doctors?  Tune in and find out!

The Crazy Ones - CBS, September 26 at 9:00 p.m. - A little Robin Williams can be a great thing.  A lot of Robin Williams week after week could be a different story, however.  But when you combine Robin Williams with Sarah Michelle Gellar and the always awesome James Wolk?  Well then you convince me to check it out.

Sean Saves the World - NBC, October 3 at 9:00 p.m. - It's been a long time since Will & Grace, but NBC is putting Sean Hayes back in the spotlight in that magic Thursday night timeslot.  This one could really go either way for me.

Reign - CW, October 17 at 9:00 p.m. - The CW seems to have a lot of new shows coming out this year that are kind of in that Young Adult distopian future vein, which don't really appeal to me.  Reign sounded promising - the untold story of a 15-year old Mary Queen of Scots, sounds exciting!  A little history, a little intrigue, sounds fun.  But watching the sneak peek didn't really go as I thought - it seems a little too polished and pretty.  We'll see.

The Michael J. Fox Show - NBC, September 26 at 9:30 p.m. - Is there anyone who doesn't like Michael J. Fox?  I should hope not.  He's so funny, so hardworking, so inspiring.  I'm really looking forward to his new show, it seems like it should be a good one!

Scandal - ABC, October 3 at 10:00 p.m. - OMG SCANDAL.  Seriously, this show is so freaking good, you need to be watching it.  NEED.  Kerry Washington is like the classiest, most amazing person ever.  I just want to hang out with her watch her be awesome.  Lisa Kudrow is joining the show this season which should make things very interesting!

Elementary - CBS, September 26 at 10:00 p.m. - I really enjoyed the first season of Elementary.  I thought they did a good job of balancing "monster of the week" type of storylines along with broader arcs.  I will admit to letting this one pile up on the PVR though, so I will probably end up doing the same this season.


FRIDAY

The Carrie Diaries - CW, October 25 at 8:00 p.m. - I'm the first to admit that this is far from a perfect show, but I still that sometimes you just need some fluffy entertainment.  I like having this show on hand for when I just need something on in the background while I'm folding laundry or something.  This season we meet Samantha Jones, so maybe that will make things a bit more interesting!

Dracula - NBC, October 25 at 10:00 p.m. - NBC is doing something a little different with this series, and I like it.  I feel almost like this is a counterpart to their Hannibal series from the spring.  Sadly, I didn't watch Hannibal because I was sure that they would can it after just a few episodes.  I hear that Hannibal is really great though, so I'll definitely be trying to get caught up there.  With Dracula, they're offering a 10-episode series.  I really like that idea of smaller runs, it makes it easier to get invested.  Jonathan Rhys Meyers is Dracula, which isn't terrible to see.  They're also being smart pairing it up with Grimm and premiering it right at Halloween.  I hate to give NBC props, but I think they're doing the right thing with this one.

So there's what I'll be up to this fall, in case you were wondering why I'm never seen outside of the house anymore.  Hell, I still have a bunch of shows waiting on my PVR from February and March.  Of course, this will definitely be thinned out after a few weeks which is good for all those midseason shows just waiting in the wings!  I'll do a post about the midseason shows along the way at some point - don't want to get too ahead of myself!




No comments: