Monday, 10 June 2013

Treats of the Week


  • I finished watching "The Following" after having recorded the entire first season.  I really enjoyed it - what's not to love about James Purefoy?  A little slow in some sections, but overall I really liked it.  We'll see if I watch Season 2 week-to-week or record it all again.
  • I went to a stag and doe on the weekend for the first time in ages.  It was a blast - they had a great turnout and it was awesome to see so many people again.  It would have been better if my kid had been asleep when I got home late after having more than a couple of drinks, but what can ya do.
  • I forgot to post it last week, but I got through all of the new episodes of Arrested Development too.  While I was worried after the first couple of episodes, I thought the new season really gelled by the end.  It's kind of like watching Pulp Fiction where you get bits and pieces of the storyline as you go, so I think it will fare better with time as you realize just how layered it really is.
  • My mom was sick last week, and I had to leave work one day to go home and help her out.  While that wasn't the treatiest part of my week, it did make me appreciate that I have a job that allows me to do that.  My job sure isn't perfect, but it is nice knowing that I can leave if I need to and don't have to worry about it affecting my pay at the end of the week.  Not everyone is lucky enough to have banks of overtime, or sick time, or vacation time so it made me feel very grateful.  Also, mom said that Courtney and I passed the little "In Case of Emergency" test, so that was nice.
  • Shaken black iced tea with lemonade and a shot of raspberry from Starbucks.  I stopped in at Starbucks a week or so ago to get one, but couldn't remember if it had a special name or not.  So here's me at the drive-thru, "Um, yeah, last year there was like a shaken black iced tea with lemonade thing, but I don't know what it was called."  "Oh that would be the shaken black iced tea with lemonade."  Thanks for that.  But the guy recommended adding the shot of raspberry and it's amazing.  I loves me some Starbucks, but I try to keep it as a treat.  Otherwise I would probably have to sell my car to keep up with my habit.
  • I was exhausted last night.  I forced myself to stay up long enough to watch all of Game of Thrones and Mad Men, then quickly went to bed and had an amazing sleep.  It rained through the night and I had the bedroom window open so I had that perfect combo of white noise and fresh air.  I definitely made getting out of bed on a drab, wet Monday morning a little bit easier after having a really good night's sleep.
  • Getting to see family at a barbeque, especially on what turned out to be a perfectly beautiful day.
  • Having someone else make me dinner.  Always a welcome treat.
  • MY DISHWASHER FREAKING WORKS!  I've thought for the last few months that the dishwasher was broken after it didn't drain a few times.  I ignored it, didn't want to fix it, and just made do with washing dishes by hand.  Tonight I randomly decide to run it through, just for fun and the damn thing works!  Hooray!
Next week I'm hoping to be able to say that I've made it through an entire week without any kind of medical issue.  I think it's been a solid month of having some sort of doctor's appointment/sick day/trip to the walk-in/trip to emerg at least once a week.  Fingers crossed that Vivian and I don't end up with the flu that my mom had!  Fingers crossed for you too - there seems to be a lot of nasty bugs going around right now!


No comments: