Tuesday, 7 May 2013

Very Vivian - Phase 1 of Operation Big Girl Bed

Edit - I wrote this blog post on Sunday night at about 11:30.  That night Vivian didn't settle down to sleep until 5:00 a.m., and I caught her climbing out of her crib at 4:00 a.m.  Last night's sleep wasn't much better, so this whole plan could be going out the window, who knows.

A couple of weeks ago I was rearranging furniture in Vivian's room when I saw it happen.  

Vivian climbed in and out of her crib.

Dammit.

I've suspected that she's been able to do this for some time now, but now it's confirmed.  While I don't think she's ever done it through the night or anything, I assume it's just a matter of time before she drops a toy out of her crib and hauls herself out to go get it.  I'm not quite ready to transition her to her big girl bed yet though (I still want to paint the frame, and I don't think she's quite ready yet) but I figured the plan could be set into motion.

So I set up just the mattress on the floor, as I'd had suggested to me by several people.


Yes, she looks like a dirtball in this picture.  That's pretty much how she comes home from daycare after spending the day outside in the sandbox.  She was showing me how she skinned her knee.  I thought we were going to have to go to emerg.  But I included the picture because all the rest I have look like this...






She does really love it.  Every night and naptime I ask her if she wants to sleep in her crib or her big girl bed, and she always chooses her crib.  She loves the big bed for playing and hanging out in though, so I figure eventually nap times will start and then we'll go from there.  That's the plan at least!

Any other suggestions?  I'm not in a rush except for the safety side of it - I don't want her to fall and hurt herself or anything.  I was thinking about maybe getting her some new Hello Kitty or Princess sheets to help sweeten the deal, and then maybe she can get a matching comforter when she's sleeping in it full time or something.  We went to look at sheets at Target the other day though and she had zero interest.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe move the matress beside her crib so that if she does fall during this transition time she at least falls on the matress. We moved Lily from her toddler bed to a twin a couple of weeks ago and put her toddler matress beside the bed just in case she fell out of bed. Good luck with the transition!
- Sheri