Tuesday, 14 May 2013

Very Vivian - First Trip to Emerg

I was a good kid.  I was quiet, listened to my parents, did what I was told.

My sister, on the other hand, set fire to my grandma's kitchen.  She needed skin grafting after giving herself a chemical burn.  She cut the cat's whiskers.

When we got older, Courtney would imagine that I would have quiet, nerdy children and she would be their crazy aunt who took them on wild adventures.  I always told her that it will be the exact opposite - I'll end up with a kid just like her, and she'll have the quiet, sweet one.

Know what else my sister did as a child?  Shoved pebbles from the turtle's tank up her nose.

What did Vivian do today?  Shoved a popcorn kernel up her nose.

Parents know that receiving a phone call from the daycare in the middle of the day is never a good thing.  So when I got a phone call at 11:00 a.m., I figured Vivian was sick.  But no, I was told there was a kernel in my daughter's nose and no matter what Joanne (my daycare provider) did, it was not going to come out.  So I went running out of work and picked Vivian up for our first trip to emerg.

After a not-too-long wait, we got to see the doctor.  I was pleased that it was a pleasant, young, female resident.  We couldn't get Vivian to hold still to look up her nose though, so we had to go to another exam room to hold her down on a bed.

We got her wrapped up in a blanket with a nurse's help and pinned her down.  Of course now she's screaming, but at least we could see the kernel lodged up there.  I assumed I would be asked to hold her head or something while they tried to get it out, but they completely surprised me when the nurse said,

"Okay mom, we need you to blow into her mouth."

I beg your pardon?

Yup.  They wanted me to seal Vivian's mouth with my own and blow into her screaming, snotty mouth until the kernel popped out of her nose.  Strange, but true.  After three or four breaths, it came right out of her nose, just like that.

Poor little girl was so exhausted she fell asleep on the way home from the hospital - which is saying something, since we're like less than 3 kilometers away from the hospital.


I didn't take any pictures of her while we were at the hospital, because I didn't want to be that parent, but here she is snuggling in her big girl bed (still for hanging out only, not sleeping) before bedtime tonight.

The best part about the whole ordeal?  I forgot to pay for parking and thought for sure I would end up with a ticket, but it was my lucky day!  

So tell me what your kids have shoved in their noses.  Anyone else have to breathe in their kid's mouth?  The doctor and nurse said this is usually something kids only do once, so I've got my fingers crossed I won't have to do it again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds like quite the ordeal you had. I've been to emerg quite a few times too Ashlie, so I can relate to your story. :) Never there for something up my kid's nose though! What a girl Vivian is! No doubt in my mind that she will make you very proud one day.

I think I remember Courtney also putting a hole in a waterbed with scissors. Did that happen? Also, the many times she had to have an epi pen shot because she got stung by a bee.

Take care,

Aunt Jill

ashlie said...

Yep, Courtney was responsible for the waterbed too! And it's funny, when I told Mom she said that I might as well get Vivian an Epi pen now since she'll no doubt end up being the one who is also allergic to bees!