Tuesday, 21 May 2013

Summer Viewing

Per special request (from Jenn) here's the list of what will be filling up my PVR this summer.  I have to admit, I love summer TV.  Expectations are lowered, so guilty pleasures are that much guiltier, and networks seem to take bigger risks in running some quirkier stuff, which can make for an interesting mix on those long, hot days.  I love that all the good shows aren't piled up in the fall anymore, with the summer being a wasteland of  repeats.  Long live the summer shows!

I've got them in order of premiere date - a couple have already gotten under way!  But please note that these are only the shows that I'm interested in this summer - there's lots more out there too!


  • Family Tree (HBO, started May 12) - I actually have both episodes of this saved on the PVR right now, but haven't gotten around to watching them yet.  Starring Chris O'Dowd and created by Christopher Guest, it's got to be funny, but a little offbeat.  It's mockumentary style (of course, Christopher Guest) which I always find fun. 
  • So You  Think You Can Dance (FOX, started May 14) - One of my favourite parts of summer, it's just super entertaining, easy watching.
  • The Goodwin Games (FOX, started May 20) - I liked the sounds of this one when it came out of upfronts week last year.  It has a great cast (Scott Foley and Becki Newton are the main stars, with Beau Bridges as a guest star) and a fun, outlandish concept.  I have this one recorded too, but haven't checked it out yet.
  • Rookie Blue (ABC, May 23) - Now, I have to admit, I've only seen one episode of this show.  But my friend Kimberly loves it, and is always telling me to watch it and to tell other people to watch it.  So I'm telling you to watch it, and maybe I will too.
  • Arrested Development (Netflix, May 26) - If I could only pick one show to watch this summer...well, it would probably be Breaking Bad.  But I would be super sad about not being able to see the new episodes of Arrested Development.  Luckily, I don't have to make such a tragic choice.  I'm incredibly excited to see what the Bluths have been up to, and am thrilled that Netflix has really latched onto the idea of people marathoning shows and just releasing all the episodes at once.  THE FUTURE IS NOW.
  • The Bachelorette (ABC, May 27) - I didn't watch the most recent season of The Bachelor, and I'm assuming that this Bachelorette was a castoff from that season.  Even without a background knowledge of her, I'll probably tune in, even if only to have something on in the background while I do other things.  
  • Brooklyn D.A. (CBS, May 28) - A different kind of summer show - this is supposed to be a 6-part reality series following real Brooklyn District Attorneys.  With all the legal drama/police procedurals out there, it will be interesting to see the "real deal" behind the scenes.  For some reason, I can't find any information about it on the CBS website, but it's showing up on my PVR, so we'll see how it goes.
  • Keeping up with the Kardashians (E!, June 2) - I know, I know.  Give me a break, it's entertaining.  And who doesn't want to find out what Kim and Kanye will name their baby?
  • Mistresses (ABC, June 3) - This just looks FUN.  Just soapy, silly, fun.  I hope it delivers!

  • True Blood (HBO, June 16) - I wasn't crazy about the last season, but I'm assuming that this season will be better than the final Sookie Stackhouse book, which isn't saying much.  Even when this show isn't great though, there's still a pretty good chance that Alexander Skarsgard or Joe Manganiello will take their shirt off, which is always worth the price of admission.
  • Under the Dome (CBS, June 24) - I AM SO EXCITED! u I loved this book, and I think doing this as a miniseries is the exact right way to handle it.  I really, really hope that they can deliver on this one!

  • Big Brother (CBS, June 26) - I only really got into this show during the summer that I was off on maternity leave, but now it's something that I really look forward to.  It's just goofy and ridiculous.
  • Dexter (TMN, June 30) - Judging from the trailer for the final season, they are pulling out all the stops.  I'm super excited to see how they wrap up the story of everyone's favourite serial killer!

  • Whose Line is it Anyway? (CW, July 16) - Yes, it's back.  I probably won't watch it every single week, but it's nice knowing that new episodes are there!  
  • Breaking Pointe (CW, July 29) - Yes, I watch a reality show about ballet dancers.  Don't hate.
  • Breaking Bad (AMC, August 11) - Yes, the king is back.  This is the final (half) season, and I have absolutely no idea where they are going to go with it, but I'm ready for the ride.
Also up this summer are Royal Pains (USA, June 12) and Franklin & Bash (TNT, July 24).  While I've watched both of these shows and quite enjoy them, I can never seem to stick with them consistently.  I will probably tune in and out, but I wanted to throw them in there just for good measure.

1 comment:

Geoff MacDonald said...

Where the heck do you find the time for all these shows?