Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Why are small clothes so hard to organize?

I'll warn you right now that this post isn't exactly earth-shattering, but I find kids clothes to be insanely hard to organize and always enjoy seeing how other people do it, so I thought I would share my method too!

This shouldn't come as a shock to anyone, but Vivian is just a little bit picky about her clothes.  She likes to have a lot of input.  There are many important decisions to be made, like which princess shirt to wear?  Or maybe it's a Hello Kitty kind of day.  Good thing I have her to help me.  So it was getting to the point that having her clothes in drawers wasn't working.  Besides, she had a basically empty closet with a dresser that was taking up too much space in her room.  So I changed it up and hung up most of her clothes.


She's got the old double bar dealio in her closet, so I've got her dress up stuff on the top bar and her shirts hanging on the bottom.  I keep her hoodies on hooks on the back of her bedroom door so they're easy to grab.  Then I had to figure out a system for her pants.  Kids pants are hard - they're just so little, I always find they end up in weird piles that just fall over anyway.  So I took some old skirt hangers that I had (from those days long ago when I had way more clothes than I do now) and just used them to hang up all of her little pants and shorts.


It works perfectly - I can get 8 pairs onto a hanger and can see what is clean quickly without having to dig for anything.

The other side of her closet has shelves, but they just get used for DVDs and other storage type stuff.


And then we have the little one-drawer dresser for the little stuff - socks, pajamas and bathing suits.


Probably the biggest thing for me when it comes to keeping her clothes organized is keeping it to just what fits her now.  As soon as something is too small for her, it goes into a bin.  When the bin is full, I take it to Once Upon a Child to see what kind of cash I can get.  Last trip there I got $64 for half a bin of clothes!  Whatever they don't take goes to Goodwill.  I don't like buying a lot of clothes that are too big for her either - I like to live in the now!

Like I said - nothing earth shattering.  I would love to paint the inside of Vivian's closet one day and make it something bright and fun, but that is pretty much as low on the list of priorities as you can get.

Anyone else have any good tips on keeping kids stuff under control?

No comments: