Monday, 1 April 2013

Thrifting in Sarnia

I had to work in Sarnia on Thursday, and ended up with some time to kill before meeting a friend for a movie so I decided to check out some different thrift stores and am I ever glad I did!

First stop was the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store, but there was barely anything left there because they're actually moving to a new location and it was their last day there.  So it was a bust for me, but I'm super excited to check out their new (bigger!) store soon.

After that I stopped in at Goodwill.  I don't usually check out Goodwill, actually.  I've just never found one that I really like.  This one seemed to be about the same, until I spied these babies sitting on the shelf.


I've been obsessing over these jars for years.  Heist had a complete set of them (not sure if they still have them or not) and they were going for $120, I think.  The whole set is so awesome - there's ones for sugar, coffee, salad dressing, flour, chips, cookies, even a misc.  I just love them.  So when I saw these two going for $2 each, I could barely believe it.  Even better?  It was 50% off housewares, so I ended up getting them for $1 each.

I headed to the Bibles for Missions, where I promptly fell in love with a table.  Sadly, I didn't think it was getting in my car, so I had to leave it there.  If it's meant to be, it will still be there another day if I happen to be in Sarnia with a bigger vehicle.  I did, however, find three more of my amoeba pattern glasses.


I am trying to limit my vintage glasses, but I have a whole bunch of this amoeba pattern, and these mugs are my favourites.  I only had 2 of them, so adding 3 more is awesome.  It's a shame none of these have the gold amoebas left on them (they wear off a lot more quickly than the teal) but I use these all the time, so even if there was still gold on them, they would no doubt be worn off quickly.  Two of these glasses were priced at $1.50, and one was priced at $1.00, so when I pointed it out the lady rang them all up at $1.00 each, then it was 50% off housewares there too, so $1.50 for all three was my total!

I hit up Value Village too, and like every good trendy hipster, I bought a globe.  I know, I know.  But this one is extra awesome because it's French.  And Vivian loves it, she loves spinning it around and looking at it, and even went and got her toys out to help spin it too.  This one was $4.99, but I had a 30% off coupon (if you donate stuff to Value Village right now, you get a punch card for 30% off) so it came to $3.96 after taxes.


So not a lot of money spent, but I was really happy with my finds.  No idea where to put that globe, but my jars and mugs are already in use!  Anyone else find anything good lately?  It will be yard sale season before you know it!

No comments: