Thursday, 11 April 2013

T-Shirt Art

So I have all of these shirts from TeeFury laying around that I don't really wear anymore.  As much as I love TeeFury, I find that their shirts can fit really weird depending on the colour (navy seems to fit me best, white seems to stretch out like crazy, grey seems to fit small...) and most of them just don't fit me right since I had Vivian.  This could be partially due to the fact that I wore them through most of the pregnancy, so they're all stretch and weird and whatnot.

Anyway, I couldn't bear to get rid of them, so I decided to turn them into art!  I'd seen this pin on Pinterest awhile ago...

For the love of god, I cannot get this pin to embed itself.  Whatever, here's the original idea - http://thenotsoblankcanvas.blogspot.ca/2012/09/threadbare-memories.html 

So I thought I would do the same!  A couple of canvases from Dollarama and I was in business.



I did a couple of different sizes to start - I still have a whole bunch to do.  I'm really happy with the effect though, and it's super simple.  Just wrap it and staple that shit down.  The hardest part is stretching the fabric enough to get rid of wrinkles and to keep it taut, but not so much that the image gets distorted.  You can tell on the Ab Aeterno shirt (the white one on the right) that it's a little crooked.  It was really hard to keep the lines straight - especially since I think this shirt was messed up from the start and was printed slightly crooked.  Whatevs, I think it's good enough now.

And just to mix it up, I have a couple in embroidery hoops...


I blogged about that old Emily shirt ages ago, and just added my Cubs to the collection.  Now I can't wait for all of them to be together on a wall somewhere - maybe the basement!

No comments: