Tuesday, 16 April 2013

Good ol' Kijiji

I've been staying off of Kijiji lately - not for any particular reason, it's just something that I kind of go in fits and starts with.  So last weekend I found myself idly browsing, not really looking for anything in particular when of course I came across a couple of things that I all of a sudden had to have.

Now, to preface, I've been obsessed with campaign-style furniture for a little while now.  Something about those brass details and inset pulls just does it for me.  Not sure what I mean?  Here's some examples - it seems to be quite the trend to paint them in bold colours.


Originally from - http://nattybydesign.blogspot.ca/2011/08/campaign-dresser.html

  

Originally from - http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2012/02/the-kelly-campaign/
 



Originally from - http://nattybydesign.blogspot.ca/2011/08/campaign-dresser.html
 

So pretty, right?  I guess originally they were used in military campaigns.  Here's a quick article from Apartment Therapy that explains more. 

Anyway, it seems like bloggers in the States seem to just trip over them on the sidewalk, or they find them for like $10 at a thrift store.  I've never really seen anything like it around here though, so I was beginning to doubt that they were even really a Canadian thing. 

So when I saw this on Kijiji, even though it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for, I knew I had to jump on it or I would probably never find one again.


It has the brass corner details and inset handles, but for some reason it has a wicker face on the drawer?  Never mind the fact that it's one single drawer.  Super weird.


It's beat up, but I love it anyway.  I've got it in Vivian's room now - it's actually nice to have just the one drawer for her socks and PJs, since I've moved the rest of her clothes to the closet.  It could definitely use a sprucing up though - some paint might be just what the doctor ordered.  It was $25, and actually came from a place just outside of Grand Bend.

Find number two came from a super sketch part of London.  I normally only buy things from people with nicer houses than my own (because I'm terribly prejudiced, obviously) but for this one I made an exception.  I loved the look of it, and was really hoping it would be solid wood (it's not) but it's actually pretty well built and I think will hold up well.


She had it listed as a dresser, but that left side is actually a cabinet, so I consider it to be a bit more of a credenza type deal.  The drawers are actually really nice and deep too - lots and lots of storage space!  This one was $40.


It's currently living in the basement, waiting for the day that it can have a lovely TV on it.

Not the most earth-shattering finds, but fun nonetheless.

Now, any colour suggestions for Vivian's dresser?



No comments: