Tuesday, 5 February 2013

Back to the Basement

 So remember how every now and then I decide that something needs to be done with the basement, then I start something, decide it's good enough and call it a day?  Well I'm about to do it again.

It's super frustrating to have such a big open empty space in a house, just begging to be used.  And lately Vivian has been taking an interest in playing in the basement, which isn't really feasible since it looks like this.



I think because the cats are down there most of the time, and because the playroom at daycare is in the basement, she thinks that basements are great.  So I'm often being led down the stairs by her saying "Down?  Mommy down?"

So my 2013 project is to do something with the basement.  Nothing crazy - I really don't have any money to spend on this project, but it would be nice to clean it up and make it more useable.
So to remind you, here's what I have to work with.



Giant open spaces with books.  That's about it.

So far I pulled the runner off that was on the stairs - what a huge difference that made.  It was so gross - just one of those things that would never be clean, so I just ripped it off one day since it was all just stapled on.  No idea why it took me that long.

Right now my biggest problem is what to do with this area - there's flooring that seems to be glued onto the concrete - any thoughts on how to get it off besides scraping it off with brute force?  And then what to do with the stairs?




My plan is to just paint the concrete floors.  There's no cash for other flooring, so I think that painting them will just clean things up and make a useable space that will be fine for now.  Some area rugs can make all the difference!  From what I've read, it isn't too bad to do - just a lot of patching, sanding, sweeping, vacuuming, sweeping, vacuuming, sweeping, vacuuming, sweeping, vacuuming, then paint and seal!  Simple, right?  We'll see.  I'd love to do something like this - striped floors and then blue on the walls and maybe a coral accent.  Of course, I can't seem to use any of the digital painting software, so instead I rocked it old school with MS Paint.  Give me a break on the colours though - I was using MS Paint after all.


So imagine this to be kind of a similar view - that white band is supposed to be a curtain covering that door on the right side to the crawl space area.


The other thing I'd like to do is eventually have some built-in storage around that weird cabinet thing I have on this side.  It hides a creepy faucet or something - very strange.  Eventually I would love to build cabinets around it and shelving above it, but for now I was thinking I might be able to find some old kitchen cupboards or something from the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store to fit in there or something.

So that's my little project for 2013.  It won't happen quickly, and there's no guarantees that it will be pretty, but it would be nice to have a better space to put some of Vivian's bigger toys and to have a place to play with ride-on toys inside when the weather is crappy.  I'm hoping to get the walls painted sometime this month-ish and then start to worry about the floors.  Wish me luck!
 

No comments: