Monday, 25 February 2013

About the Oscars...

I went to my first-ever Oscars party last night, and it was awesome.  I've always wanted to go to one, and it was everything I hoped it could be.  Snacks, yelling at the TV, good company, and money on the line.

Yes, it was $5 into the pot to fill out your ballot, and guess who came out on top?  Yup, that was me.

Not going to lie - I wanted it.  I studied for this.  I made a point this year of seeing all of the Best Picture nominees after too many years spent watching the Oscars and only being familiar with one of two of the movies.  It took staying up until 2:00 a.m. on Saturday night to do it, but I did it.  I do not recommend viewing Beasts of the Southern Wild followed immediately by Amour though.

I spent a lot of time reading up on who the critics were predicting as winners and based my guesses on a combination of that and just my own feelings after seeing the movies.  Sometimes I went with who I wanted to win, sometimes I went with who I thought I would win.  Most of the time these were one and same, which is always great.  Here's my choices for the night...

Best Picture
My choice - Argo
Winner - Argo

I almost didn't pick it.  I loved it, but for some reason I felt like there was an upset coming, I thought that Silver Linings Playbook might actually pull it off.  In the end though, there was too much momentum to argue with.

Leading Actor
My choice - Daniel Day Lewis, Lincoln
Winner - Daniel Day Lewis, Lincoln

I mean, really.  Was there ever any doubt?

Supporting Actor
My choice - Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook
Winner - Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained

I was so happy to have been wrong here.  This was one where I went with who I thought I would win, not who I wanted to win.  Christoph Waltz was fantastic in Django Unchained, but I just didn't think that he would win another Oscar so soon.  I really thought that with the pool of talent in this category, it would go to someone with more experience.

Leading Actress
My choice - Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Winner - Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook

I just couldn't vote against J. Law.  She's pretty much the coolest person ever, and I love her even more for tripping on the stairs.  Celebrities - they're just like us!

Supporting Actress
My choice - Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Winner - Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables

We all knew it was coming - the Academy just loves those physical transformations!  Add in the live singing, and she totally deserved it.  Just wish her speech had been more candid.

Animated Feature
My choice - Brave
Winner - Brave

Brave was actually the only one of the nominated movies I had seen.  And while I didn't think it was quite up to the usual Pixar standard, I figured they were a pretty safe bet.

Cinematography
My choice - Django Unchained
Winner - Life of Pi

Most of the more technical categories were basically a stab in the dark for me.  I loved Django Unchained, so I was hoping for it to scoop up a bunch of these other awards.

Costume Design
My choice - Anna Karenina
Winner - Anna Karenina

Haven't seen it, but the trailer is quite impressive.  And Keira Knightley just looks great in that little hat.

Directing
My choice - Ang Lee, Life of Pi
Winner - Ang Lee, Life of Pi

What Ang Lee did with this movie was nothing short of remarkable.  You get completely lost in this movie - you just go with it, you never stop to think that it's basically all green screen.  Awesome job, super happy he won.

Documentary Feature
My choice - Searching for Sugar Man
Winner - Searching for Sugar Man

I haven't seen this or any of the other nominees, but I've heard amazing things about this documentary.  I'll definitely be checking it out.

Documentary Short
My choice - Inocente
Winner - Inocente

Total stab in the dark here, but after hearing their acceptance speech, I'm really glad that they won and I'd really like to see this.

Film Editing
My choice - Argo
Winner - Argo

I have no idea how you're supposed to actually pick a winner here.  Argo was good, I can't think of any specific reason that I went with it, but yay for getting it right!

Foreign Language Film
My choice - Amour
Winner - Amour

When a foreign language film is also nominated for Best Picture, it's a pretty safe bet that it will win for Foreign Language Film.

Makeup and Hairstyling
My choice - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Winner - Les Miserables

I was kicking myself a little for this one.  The critics that I read up on had picked Les Mis as the winner, but for some reason the idea of The Hobbit winning for Hairstyling really amused me, so I went with it.

Original Score
My choice - Argo
Winner - Life of Pi

Nothing really stood out for me in this category, so I went with Argo.  I think that was my go-to choice for most categories where I didn't know what to pick.  Apparently the winner was Canadian though, so yay for Canada!

Original Song
My choice - Skyfall
Winner - Skyfall

Seemed like the pretty obvious choice here.  I actually really like this song, and I am one of those people who find Adele adorable.

Production Design
My choice - Lincoln
Winner - Lincoln

Gotta hand it to studying the critics choices on this one.  I had no idea what to go with, but Anthony Breznican said it would go to Lincoln, so I went with it.

Animated Short Film
My choice - Paperman
Winner - Paperman

I had only seen Paperman and The Simpsons shorts, so I didn't have much to go on.  Paperman is probably the cutest six minutes you can possibly spend in a day, I highly recommend you watch it!



Live Action Short Film
My choice - Buzkashi Boys
Winner - Curfew

Didn't know what to go with here, Buzkashi Boys just sounded win-y to me.

Sound Editing
My choice - Zero Dark Thirty
Winner - Zero Dark Thirty AND Skyfall

Seriously?  A tie in sound editing of all categories?  These awards always seem to go to action movies, so that was the basis of my choice.

Sound Mixing
My choice - Skyfall
Winner - Les Miserables

I have no idea what sound mixing is.  How good the sounds are together?  I dunno, whatevs.

Visual Effects
My choice - Life of Pi
Winner - Life of Pi

Hands down.

Adapted Screenplay
My choice - Silver Linings Playbook
Winner - Argo

I really thought this would be the consolation prize for Silver Linings Playbook.  I was pretty surprised that Argo took it.

Original Screenplay
My choice - Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained
Winner - Quentin Tarantino, Django Unchained

Absolutely deserved, such a fantastic, original story and yet still a classic kind of fairy tale.  And it was totally worth it to see a seemingly drunk Tarantino accept his award and say "Peace out".

How did you guys do on your Oscar picks?  Any surprises for you?  What did you think of Seth MacFarlane?  I thought he was hilarious and did a great job, but I'm a fan of his already, so I'm biased.  Next year I'm making it my goal to see all of the Best Picture nominated films as well as all the nominated films in the acting categories - a lofty goal, to be sure.

No comments: