Wednesday, 30 January 2013

Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go

If there's one thing that I say that annoys people, it's "I have a system!"  I'm perfectly aware that I'm stubborn and difficult and this personality trait spills into many facets of my life.  The way that I do things definitely doesn't always make sense to everyone, but it makes sense to me, so that's good enough.

One example of this?  My system of waking up.

On a typical work morning, I set three alarms on my cell phone.

Alarm 1 - 5:45 a.m.  This is when I really should be waking up in order to do everything that I need to do - packing a lunch, getting Vivian's stuff ready, blow drying my hair, all that fun stuff.  I never wake up at 5:45.  Sometimes I'll lay in bed and check things out on the computer, but I never actually get out of bed at this time.  The other morning I woke up on my own at 5:42 and still went back to sleep.

Alarm 2 - 6:00 a.m.  This is when I can still wake up and get everything done with no room for error.  If there's something I need in the dryer in the basement, I'm behind schedule.  There's also a very good chance that my hair isn't going to be totally blow dried, if at all.  This is mostly due to the fact that even though my alarm goes off at 6:00, I just turn on the lamp and lay there for a few minutes, thinking about the upcoming day.  I'll mentally pick out what I'm going to wear, try to remind myself of anything I need to get done that day, and yes, maybe doze off a little bit.  Which is why I have...

Alarm 3 - 6:15 a.m.  This is the "you really need to get your ass out of bed because you fell back asleep and now you're going to be late" alarm.  This alarm usually means that I won't be able to dry my hair at all, and there's a very good chance that I'll be putting makeup on at work, or foregoing it altogether.  Breakfast may have to be eaten while driving.

This schedule also fluctuates depending on the season.  In all actuality, I should be getting up earlier in the winter in case I need more time for driving.  In the summer I can get away with not drying my hair or wearing makeup much more easily than in the winter.

This whole method only came about because of having a cell phone with three separate alarms.  When I still used an alarm clock, I was a big fan of setting it a few minutes ahead to try and get a jump on the day.  Of course, this whole plan falls apart when you know how fast the clock is, because then you just lay there doing the math to think about how many more minutes of sleep you can get.  My mom is notorious for setting her alarm clock like 45 minutes fast.  The trick here is to have someone else set it a few minutes ahead.  This also works with the clock in the car, but is easily figured out when there are radio DJs who announce the time every other minute in the morning.

Of course, there are some people who would say that you should trick yourself in other ways - try setting your alarm clock up across the room so you have to get out of bed to turn it off.  Tried it - I would still crawl back to bed.  What can I say?  I'm not exactly a  morning person. 

What about you?  Any tricks for getting yourself up in the morning, or any rituals?  When I was in school I would wake up in the morning and lay there going through each class I had that day and whether or not there were any quizzes/test/assignments due before getting out of bed.

1 comment:

JennM said...

Your blog is amazing:)