Wednesday, 2 January 2013

Very Vivian - This Christmas

Hey, remember how it was Christmas over a week ago and I haven't said anything about it yet?  Well that's kind of how Christmas goes - things get crazy, kids get cranky, days get confused, and before you know it it's time to go back to work (which is me today).

But that doesn't mean I don't have anything to show you!

I didn't end up taking a lot of pictures over the holidays or of Christmas morning because I wanted to kind of just be there and enjoy myself and try to relax and let Vivian do her thing instead of asking her to look at the camera the whole time.

So here's what Santa left for Vivian on Christmas Eve...


I'm in love with her kitchen.  It is such awesome quality, I'm so happy I went with the wooden one.  It was actually really easy to put together too, and it fits neatly into my kitchen so she can play along while I'm in the kitchen.  The mini pots and pans on the stove are from IKEA (if you need some for your kids, they're really the cheapest ones around and are super nice quality) and that mixer on top of the kitchen is Kidcraft and was a gift from one of my coworkers.  Yes, Vivian is even spoiled by my coworkers.  Her stocking is over there with Hello Kitty peeking out (she ended up getting 3 small Hello Kitties for Christmas and has been dragging them around with her ever since) and I got that Disney Princess Christmas bag as a stocking overflow.  It was just too easy to get her stocking stuff this year - you can go nuts at the dollar store for kids this age and they think it's great - stickers, tattoos, painting sheets, colouring books, crayons - foolproof.

Vivian loved opening presents - and after everything she unwrapped she wanted it out of the package immediately, so the kitchen ended up filled with garbage.  It was a bit of a free-for-all, but I was glad that she really wanted to see each toy instead of just opening one and tossing it aside for the next one.

That big Hello Kitty was actually from a trip to Build-A-Bear for her birthday.  And she wore that "princess skirt" all day on the 23rd, 24th and 25th.  She even slept in it on Christmas Eve.  Whatever, I don't care what she wears.

Christmas got a little crazy when we ended up staying an extra night at my mom's place because of a bunch of snow we got on Boxing Day, but only in the sense that it kind of threw off the rest of the week and I felt awful that Vivian basically opened her presents on Christmas morning and then didn't see them again until the end of the day on the 27th.  Next year will be different though - it's already been decided that Vivian will get to stay at home for Christmas day, and Blair will get to stay at her house on Christmas day, and then my mom and her crew will just visit us both at home.  That way the girls can just spend a nice day at home with their toys and just hang out in their pajamas if they want instead of having to run out the door.  I'm actually already looking forward to being home for the day and just having some snacky things ready for visitors.  This was probably the last Christmas where Vivian won't expect anything - next year will be all about Santa and writing letters and knowing what's coming.  It's kind of funny at this age when they go to bed no problem on Christmas Eve because they have no idea what the next morning will bring. 

Of course now I'm dealing with the post-Christmas guilt.  Do you get that?  See, last year everyone told me to get Vivian the kitchen for Christmas, but I thought she was too young.  But then on Christmas Eve I put together a kitchen for one of mom's foster kids and Vivian lost her mind for it.  She loved it, couldn't get enough of playing with it.  And I felt like the worst parent ever for not getting her one.  It always seems that there's something that you don't think to get for the kids or there's something they play with at someone else's house and they just love.  And when they're a December baby it's even worse, because then you don't get that other chance to spoil them. 

Except for Easter - the Easter Bunny might have to bring Vivian a princess castle of some sort.

So that was Christmas - nothing flashing, just too many days strung together of too much food, too little napping, and not enough good stuff on TV.

How was your Christmas?  What was the biggest hit on Christmas morning?  At my mom's house everyone fought over this stupid little Magna Doodle thing.  Of course if everyone had gotten one for Christmas, then no one would have wanted to play with it.

No comments: