Thursday, 2 August 2012

Midseason!

After writing my post about the new shows this fall, I promised you an additional post about the new shows that will be premiering in the midseason.  It seems like more and more networks are embracing the midseason show.  What used to be used as a bandaid to fill in for a failed fall series has become an entirely new kind of entertainment.  It seems like they really tailor shows to different seasons - often premiering more quirky series later in the year (two of my favourites, Happy Endings and Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23 were both premiered in the spring).  It seems like more and more networks are condensing show orders and airing episodes without repeats to make way for a wider variety of shows.  I personally love the method, because it really gives different shows a chance.  I would love to see American networks embrace a more British method of TV with very short seasons and only doing a few seasons.  Quality over quantity!

Anyway, here are the new shows that I'm looking forward to in the midseason.

The Carrie Diaries (CW)

I haven't seen any kind of trailer for this show yet, and I have no idea whether it will be campy and goofy and just fun or completely terrible, but I will definitely be signing on to see a teenaged Carrie Bradshaw.

Cult (CW)

No trailer for this one yet either (get on it, CW) but dig this premise - This is a show about a show about a cult.  Then there are people who are obsessed with that show and are recreating crimes from it.  Yeah, I don't know either, but I'll drink the Kool Aid at least once or twice.

The Following (Fox)

Kevin Bacon.  Do you need to know more about this show?  James Purefoy.  Still not enough?  Just watch the trailer.



Friend Me (CBS)

This show actually sounds kind of awful.  But like so awful that I need to see it, you know?  It stars Christopher Mintz-Plasse (yes, the McLovin kid) and someone else as 20 somethings who work at Groupon.  And yes, the title is a nod to Facebook.  I guess they're going for a zeitgeist thing?

The Goodwin Games (Fox)

Now, when I first read about this show, I wasn't interested in it.  But then the trailer totally won me over.  It just seems fun and clever.



Hannibal (NBC)

Again, NBC is doing something pretty high-concept by tackling the Red Dragon-era Hannibal Lecter.  I think it's possible that it could be done right, but time will tell if NBC is the right place for this show.

Infamous (NBC)

This one sounds very, very soapy and Revenge-y.  I was so surprised by how much I loved Revenge, so I'll definitely be checking out this one too.



Mistresses (ABC)

ABC is holding off until summer 2013 for this one.  It sounds like a perfect summer show though - scandalous ladies galore, including Alyssa Milano and Yunjin Kim (Yes, Sun from LOST!)



Mockingbird Lane (NBC)

This Munsters-reboot is still in development, but I've seen rumours that it may be premiering in early 2013, so I thought I would throw it in.  I'm super excited for this show - not only did I love watching The Munsters growing up, but this is being developed by Bryan Fuller (creator of the stunning Pushing Daisies and sublime Dead Like Me, among others) and is starring Jerry O'Connell as Herman and Portia De Rossi as Lily - not to mention Eddie Izzard as Grandpa!  Fantastic casting - I can't wait to see how this one turns out.  If they don't keep the original theme song though, I might be out.

So there's what I'm looking forward to for midseason.  Of course, the list could change as I see more of what's coming.  After the Olympics are over, I'll put up the full schedule of what I'll be watching in the fall (returning and new shows).  Anything I missed that you're looking forward to?

No comments: