Wednesday, 29 August 2012

Fall Season 2012!

August has always been an impatient month for me.  I was always so excited to get my school supplies and back to school clothes and start the year off right.  Who cares about New Years (the most disappointing holiday of the year) give me the first day of school any day.

The other wonderful thing about September?  New Fall TV!  This year the TV schedule is kind of bananas.  Basically I'm going to spend all of Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday trying to catch up with the insanity that is on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays.  Behold the schedule that I will be attempting this year. It will be a few weeks of insanity with the DVR and watching shows online before I weed out what's going to fall by the wayside and what's going to become a permanent fixture in my TV schedule.  I included the premiere date so you can mark your calendars!

Here's a link to one of my favourite TV news sites for a full schedule if you're looking for shows that I don't watch!

Ready?  Here we go.

Monday

8:00 p.m.  

  • How I Met Your Mother  (CBS) - September 24 - I only got into this show a couple of years ago, but now I'm totally into it.  I love the creative storytelling of it, and in a world where single camera comedies are quickly becoming the norm, there's something comforting about an old-fashioned three camera operation.
8:30 p.m.
  • Partners (CBS) - September 24 - I'm still not totally sold on this show, but it gets a pass for a few weeks at least based on the timeslot.
9:00 p.m.
  • 2 Broke Girls (CBS) - September 24 - I really enjoyed this show last season, it really started to find its legs by the end of the season.  Sure it's pretty fluffy stuff, but it's funny and I love Kat Dennings!
  • The Mob Doctor (FOX) - September 17 - I've watched the trailer for this show a few times now, and I keep getting more excited for it.  I really hope it can live up to the trailer (Yay Michael Rappaport!) because otherwise my Monday nights are pretty quiet!
10:00 p.m.

Revolution (NBC) - September 17 - Somehow I missed this one in the first draft of the post, which is crazy because I'm super excited for this show!  Don't mess it up, NBC!

Tuesday

8:00 p.m.
  • New Girl (FOX) - September 25 - **This is a special episode, for that night only, not the regular timeslot.  The 8:00 timeslot will be Raising Hope the rest of the time.**  I freaking LOVE New Girl.  I miss it so much!
8:30 p.m.
  • Ben and Kate (FOX) - September 25 - Tuesdays have become this crazy night of half hour comedies, so I'm kind of planning to try them all out before settling into a regular schedule of bouncing between networks.
9:00 p.m.
  • Go On (NBC) - September 11 - I didn't catch the sneak preview of this new Matthew Perry show when they aired it after the Oympics, but I've heard good things.
  • New Girl (FOX) - September 25 - This is the real timeslot for New Girl, which poses a problem because it's also when...
  • Happy Endings (ABC) - October 23 - ...is on!  Two of my favourite shows, in the same timeslot.  At least I get a month before I have to choose who gets primary status and who will be on the west coast feed.
9:30 p.m.
  • The New Normal (NBC) - September 11 - There has been quite a lot of controversy around this show.  You know, because it's such a terrible thing seeing a happy couple who just happen to be gay having a baby with a surrogate.  SHOCKING!  It looks like a cute show though, and I like Justin Bartha.
  • The Mindy Project (FOX) - September 25 - Super pumped for this one!  Love me some Mindy Kaling!
  • Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 (ABC) - October 23 - This show kind of snuck up on me.  At first I thought it wasn't that great, but by the last episode of the first season, I was totally hooked.  If you haven't checked this out yet, give it a shot.  It has some great one-liners and always seems to make me laugh.  
10:00 p.m.
  • Vegas (CBS) - September 25 - And after all those half hour comedies, it will be time to cleanse the palate with a little Dennis Quaid drama!

Wednesday

8:00 p.m.
  • Arrow (CW) - October 10 - The previews for this one are still looking super promising!  Can't wait!
9:00 p.m.
  • Modern Family (ABC) - September 26 - This one still brings the laughs, and I'm interested to see how they handle this season after the twist at the end of last season.
9:30 p.m.
  • Suburgatory (ABC) - October 17 - Another show that kind of snuck up on me.  It's still not one that I would be upset if I missed an episode, and it's one that I can totally sit and fold laundry or putter around while watching it (I do a lot of puttering) but it is pretty cute and entertaining.  Plus, Malin Ackerman is going to be for the second season, and Malin Ackerman always makes things better.
10:00 p.m.
  • Nashville (ABC) - October 10 - I'm not really expecting to stay on board with this one, but then again, I had zero expectations for Revenge last year, and now I'm obsessed.  Maybe this one will have similar luck in Revenge's old timeslot.  Time will tell!
American Horror Story: Asylum (FX) - October 17 - I'm not 100% sure what the timeslot is on this one, but I'm going to guess it's 10:00 p.m.  I didn't actually watch the first season, but because of their mini-series style, you can jump in for any season.  And this one looks pretty darn terrifying.  

Thursday

8:00 p.m.
  • The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - September 27 - I know that not everyone is down with this show, but I find it's cute and easy to watch.
  • 30 Rock (NBC) - October 4 - The final season of 30 Rock!  I actually wasn't overly impressed with last season, but I'm expecting them to pull out all the stops for this season.  More Jon Hamm guest spots, please!
  • Last Resort (ABC) - September 27 - I wasn't initially planning on watching this, but I think I'll give it a couple of episodes to see if I can get hooked on it. 
8:30 p.m.
  • Up All Night (NBC) - September 20 - Totally loved this show's first season - let's hope they can keep it up!  And bring back Jason Lee!
9:00 p.m.
  • The Office (NBC) - September 20 - Now that they've confirmed that this will be the final season for the show, I'm expecting to see some great stuff come out to send them off in style.
  • Glee (FOX) - September 13 - I have a very low tolerance for this show this season.  I'm hoping that it will be refreshed with some of the cast going off to college or whatever, but if it's just more of the same nonsense from last season, it's going to get cut.
  • Grey's Anatomy (ABC) - September 27 - If Shonda Rhimes knows one thing, it's how to do a cliffhanger.  The season finale was pretty awesome, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they move on from here.  Damn this show for making me cry!
9:30 p.m.
  • Parks and Recreation (NBC) - September 20 - I cannot stress this enough - if you are not watching this show, you need to start.  Immediately.  So unbelievably, consistently hilarious.  Fantastic cast.  I want to be friends with them all.
10:00 p.m.
  • Elementary (CBS) - September 27 - Now that I've gotten hooked on the BBC's Sherlock, but have to wait until Fall 2013 for new episodes, I will definitely be hitting up this Jonny Lee Miller/Lucy Liu take on the classic characters.
  • Scandal (ABC) - September 27 - I almost gave up on this show in the spring, but by the end of its short first season, I was pretty drawn in.  We'll see if they can keep it up for the second season.  If you haven't checked it out, I recommend it!

Friday

8:00 p.m.
  • America's Next Top Model (CW) - October 19??? - I thought this show wasn't supposed to start until October, but apparently it's on right now.  Bizarre.
  • Fringe (FOX) - September 28 - I'm so glad that this show is going into its final season knowing  it's the final season.  It's been on the bubble for so long and there were so many concerns that it would get cancelled and we would never get the answers we need, but if the trailer for the final season is any indication, we are not going to be disappointed.

Saturday

11:29:30 p.m.
  • Saturday Night Live (NBC) - September 15 - I haven't heard who the first host of the season is going to be, but with a looming American election and a lot of cast member shakeups, we could be in for a pretty great season.  Although, last year's will be hard to top with fantastic hosts like Jimmy Fallon, Melissa McCarthy and Maya Rudolph.  My one request for this season?  Please bring back Jon Hamm for the Halloween episode!  Or any episode for that matter - I can't believe he didn't host last year.  Oh, and did you know that SNL actually starts at 11:29:30 and not 11:30?  Set your DVRs accordingly if you are like me and hate missing the first few seconds of the cold open.  UPDATE - new hosts released!  The season premiere will be hosted by Seth McFarlane, so expect some singing!  Musical guest is Frank Ocean.  After that we have the awesome Joseph Gordon-Levitt with the equally awesome Mumford and Sons, then Daniel Craig and Muse!  Shaping up to be a great season already!

Sunday

8:00 p.m.
  • The Simpsons (FOX) - September 30 - Yes, I still watch the Fox Animation Domination lineup.  I don't mind if I have to miss episodes here and there, but I still like to record them just in case I need something to watch.  They're like comfort food!
  • Once Upon a Time (ABC) - September 30 - While a lot of the characters annoy me, I am still a fan of this show and think that the second season will be really awesome since it appears that the whole show will be changing.
9:00 p.m.
  • Family Guy (FOX) - September 30 - Not necessarily consistent these days, but usually good for a laugh here and there.  Any time that Brian acts like a real dog it makes me laugh, plus I'm kind of a big fan of naked Peter.
  • Revenge (ABC) - September 30 - On the one hand, I'm excited that ABC has enough faith in Revenge to move it to Sunday nights, because the Sunday night timeslot is real destination TV.  You want to make sure that you're home to watch TV on Sundays.  Wednesdays?  Meh, things come up.  But Sundays you're parked on the couch.  Of course, that poses a problem because there are so many freaking shows on Sunday nights.  I need more eyeballs.
  • Boardwalk Empire (HBO) - September 16 - I really love this show, there's something really special about it.  HBO just really knows what they're doing - everything on this show is just awesome.  The set decoration and costumes are amazing and the writing is top notch.  No spoilers here, but after a shocking season finale for season 2, I'm anxious to see where they go next.
  • Dexter (TMN) - September 30 - I haven't been a huge fan of Dexter in the last couple of season.  Basically you could skip seasons 5 and 6 and have someone tell you what happens in the last 2 minutes of season 6 and you would be good to go for season 7.  I do really want season 7 to be awesome though and have it return to the season 4 greatness level.
9:30 p.m.
  • American Dad (FOX) - September 30 - I think I could probably miss the entire season, save for the Christmas episode.  They always go so crazy over-the-top on their Christmas episode, I'm usually left crying with laughter.  Anyone else see the one with the Bizarro Jesus?  So. Freaking. Funny.
10:00 p.m.
  • 666 Park Avenue (ABC) - September 30 - The more I see about this show, the more excited I get.  It actually kind of seems like it's kind of the feel that they were going for in Happy Town, but it just wasn't executed right for that show.

No comments: