Wednesday, 4 July 2012

I don't think we'll be seeing this reboot anytime soon.

I love pop culture, and I try to consume as much of it as I can, but I'll admit, I have some blind spots.  We all have those classic movies we've never seen, the books we're embarrassed to admit we've never read, the TV shows that never made it on our radars.  One of these glaring gaps for me is Gone With the Wind.

I've never seen Gone With the Wind.

I know, I know.  Sweeping epic romance, classic Oscar winner, blah blah blah.

So last night while I was up too late perusing Pinterest, I flipped to TMC to find that Gone With the Wind was on.  So I figured what the hell, I'll throw it on in the background and maybe I'll see enough to decide that I simply must right this wrong and see the entire movie immediately.

Um, what the fuck is wrong with this movie?

Have you ever seen it?  I watched maybe 30 minutes of it, and in that span of time there was verbal abuse, people falling down stairs, that bitch Scarlett complaining that her 18 1/2 inch waist has become a 20 inch waist since she had a baby, and then the kid dies.

What the hell?  Where's the romance?  I'll give it this much though - Vivien Leigh is unbelievably stunning.

It's just like the time I read "The Thorn Birds" because I kept hearing how romantic it was and what a big deal it was when the TV miniseries came out.  And it was a good book, until the last 20 pages or so when ** SPOILER ALERT ** basically everyone in the book dies.  I seriously had to read the last few chapters a couple of times because I couldn't figure out what was going on.

I honestly don't understand.  Am I missing something?  Do I need to watch the whole movie to appreciate it?  Have you seen it?  Do you also agree that the whole thing is kind of fucked?  What other pop culture blind spots do you have?  I won't judge you too much.

No comments: