Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Dragging myself through Ice and Fire

Well, today I finally finished the 800 or so pages of A Game of Thrones.  I started this book in March, I think.  It was just one of those books that I found I could put down in favour of something else.  What killed me about it was that I wanted to love it.  I wanted to devour it in a couple of days and be dying for the next installment.  I love HBO's Game of Thrones, and I've heard so many great things about the books and how they're so much better than the series because it goes so much more in-depth, but I just could not get into it.  I found myself dreading certain characters chapters (Catelyn, I'm looking at you) and not looking forward to picking it up again.

Now, I think there's a few things at work here.  One, I had watched the first season of Game of Thrones twice before reading the book, and I've been reading the comic book adaptation.  So I'm thinking that it might have just been overkill of this part of the story.  But then there's two, I've never enjoyed reading fantasy.  Deep dark confession?  I've never made it through The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings.  LOVED the Lord of the Rings movies, but whenever I tried to read the books, I couldn't get out of the Shire.  I just can't get into them.

I don't want things to go this way for A Song of Ice and Fire though.  I want to read them all.  I want to love them all.  But now I don't know how to approach the rest.  I've seen the second season of Game of Thrones, so should I dive into A Clash of Kings now?  Should I distance myself and forget a bit of the second season first?  Should I read A Storm of Swords before the third season starts?

Help.  And while you're at it, tell me what books you've embarrassingly never read.

1 comment:

Randomly found this by googling margaery tyrell said...

You shouldn't skip the second book, because the second book deviates from the show a lot more than the first one did (the first one was pretty true to the first season of the show), also, the third book (Storm of Swords) is the best and most exciting book of the whole series so far, and you would probably be somewhat confused if you skipped the second book before reading it. You should really try to push through the second one just so you can read the third one... it's that good! If the third season is anything like the third book, you are in for MANY surprises.