Saturday, 23 June 2012

Vivian Vendredi - Sneaky Sleeper

Vivian's sleeping has been getting much better lately.  There's been a couple days in a row of sleeping through the night, giant naps on the weekends (sometimes 4 hours or more) and even inconvenient sleeping as you see below...

Vivian at 6:45 a.m. on Thursday morning when she should have been getting dressed for daycare

And Vivian at 5:00 p.m. on Thursday when she got home from daycare
So all of that is awesome, and so much better than anything she's done before.

But of course, with the good comes the bad.

And the bad is that I think very soon - much sooner than I want to see - Vivian will be done with a crib.

Now, my plan is to keep her in the crib until the very last possible moment.  If she stays in it until she's 4, I really don't care.  I want that kid in a crib.  But she's a climber.  She can pull herself out of the pool at swimming, slides down the back of the couch at home, climbs up to the slide at mom's house, and twice now I've seen her throw her leg over the top of the crib when I go to take her out.

Hell.  No.

So even though I don't want it to happen and don't approve of it happening, I can see it coming in the next few months.

So there's a few different options.  Her crib converts, but not to a toddler bed.  So I figure either she can be moved to a separate toddler bed and her crib can be put away for now, or she can be put into a twin bed that we already have, or we can get a mattress to convert her crib to a double bed.

I think I would prefer to have her in a toddler bed out of all of those options.  That way I don't have to mess around with rails or anything.  She likes toddler beds, she likes to play in Blair's, or the beds for the foster kids at mom's house.  I think she would like the security of a toddler bed versus a bigger bed.  Of course, any option means she could get out of bed in the night and wander around.  Because the doors in this house have handles instead of knobs, it's easy for her to open doors.

The first night she is out of a crib, I'll never sleep again, basically.

So what have you done?  Straight to a big bed?  Or toddler beds all the way?  Any thoughts on how to put the fear of god into this kid to just keep her in her crib?


No comments: